Chapter 48

I STAYED A FEW cars back from the Town Car as we drove toward the foothills. We took a few more turns and I pulled over into the driveway of a home that had a For Sale sign in the yard. These homes were huge and expensive and most were for sale. This was a dead-end street, so I parked and waited.

I found a PowerBar in my glove box and munched on it—I had missed lunch and dinner. I wanted to know where the black car had parked, but I did not want to drive by and get spotted.

A few minutes later, the car drove by the other way and I ducked in my seat. Great, she’d been dropped off … now I had no way of knowing where she was.  

I started the car and backed out. No time to wait—I was going to risk it. I had gone this far already.

The street flattened out after going uphill for a few blocks. All these houses overlooked the city and had amazing views. At the end of the street were a gate and a long drive that went up and over a small hill. I couldn’t see the house at the end, but I figured it was the place.

There was a guard shack at the gate and a big dog lounging under a tree. Who else would have security like this at their house? I pulled over, not getting too close so the cameras wouldn’t spot me, and turned around. As I drove down the hill, I took note of the other houses. They were all big, but nothing with a gate or security. It had to be Hank’s house.

Okay, so I knew where he lived. Big deal. I could’ve found that on the Internet. What was I going to do, sneak in and spy on him?

Parking at the same house where I did before, I waited. I wasn’t sure what I was waiting for, but I needed time to think. I texted Mandy and told her I was okay and that Angela was doing better. She replied in all caps that I was a stupid, stubborn brat and that if I did anything like that again, she’d kill me herself.

Can I stay with you and Rick tonight? Don’t feel like being alone.

You’d better if you want to stay friends.

She said she would be gone all evening but would be back by ten, and that I’d better be home soon after. I smiled and shook my head. She was acting like a mom.

I looked up just as a car passed, and I about had a heart attack. Driving by in a silver Lexus was none other than Hank Williams.