Chapter 13

THE CARAMEL COLOR OF the Scotch made him feel better at once. Dipping his finger in a shot of water, he knocked off a few drops into his glass. The bouquet filled his lungs and he let the liquor spread over his tongue.

This was the life. Back home and free to hunt again. There was only one small hiccup, a minor inconvenience that in some ways was almost as fun as hunting.

Office lights off and sitting in the dark, he checked his cell. One missed call and one message. He hit the voicemail key and listened.

“We’ve got a problem—the fox is at the henhouse. Let me know what you want to do about it.”

The message was short and to the point. He clenched his fingers around the glass of Scotch, and then threw it across the room and cursed. The heavy glass hit the far wall and broke through the plaster, embedding itself in the wall.

Hitting redial, he waited. Three rings and then an answer. “Hey, what you want I should do?” The accent was all but gone, but the words were still mixed up.

Taking out a clean glass from the liquor cabinet, he poured another shot. “I want you to fix it, clean it up.” His voice was low, demanding.

“Will do.”

“This time make sure it stays fixed.”

There was no answer. The line disconnected and the tall man sat back down with a heavy sigh. This was going to be fun.