Chapter 11

THE COURTHOUSE WAS SWARMING with TV vans and media all trying to get a good shot. I felt like a movie star, but without all the money. I brushed past them and got inside where cameras weren’t allowed. The judge made a smart move there.

The judge’s room was already full when I followed Dan in. I sat stiffly and crossed my legs. No doubt everyone had already heard of my kidnapping. News like that travelled fast—especially when you had a boss like Dan, who wanted to milk it for all it was worth.

I could see it in their eyes, too. The other attorneys looked at me with pity and a small amount of disdain, as if I were a baby that needed tending. I made my face as peaceful as I could and did not spare an extra glance their way.

We all stood when the judge came in, but he waved us back into our seats. His eyes were red and baggy, as if he hadn’t slept well.

“More bad news,” he said as he flopped into his chair. He looked at a paper as if he were reading off it. “We found another jury member who has been bribed. The woman will be charged, but I won’t order another replacement.”

It was hard to keep my face peaceful. All this work, all this hardship, and all that I had gone through last night was about to be flushed down the toilet. I knew what was coming, and it made me want to run from the room.

“I have no choice but to declare a mistrial,” the judge said.

Dan groaned. I clenched my jaw. It was still hard to hear, even though I was expecting it.

He went on to say how we could appeal and begin again, but I didn’t want to listen. It felt like ants were crawling under my skin. I just wanted to bolt out of there.

Sawyer spoke up. “We’d like to request that the defendant be released on bond. After all, there’s hardly any proof he’s guilty.”

I opened my mouth to argue, but then shut it again. If I got started, I wouldn’t be able to stop.

Let them wait. Within a few weeks I’d have enough evidence to bury them in it. Then I would argue and they wouldn’t have a word to say against me.

So I was silent, even when the judge set a 900k bond, which I knew would be easy for Williams to post. Even when he said Williams would need an ankle tracker and couldn’t leave the state. Even when Dan protested and said that Williams was a dangerous criminal and the last person who should get off on bond.

I kept quiet; there was nothing to say. Things had been set in motion that would take more than words to stop. Williams was free. Blind Lady Justice had been tricked.

But I wasn’t about to let him trick her for long.