Chapter 5 - Rachet and Clank

I found myself in the real world again, no more pixels or video game animation. I just had to make sure the time was okay, or I was screwed.

I made my way to the living room, and stopped breathing when I saw the time. It was almost one in the afternoon. That game took three hours!

I stopped thinking and searched the house for someone. I saw the groceries on the counter, and when I approached the window, Nathan's car was gone. I swore under my breath as I picked up the phone and called him, breathing in deeply and preparing for all the yelling he'd do.

"Hello?" Nathan asked, his voice shaky, and I heard the car engine in the background.

"Hey Nathan…" I trailed, and I heard nothing for a second, and I prepared for the yelling.

"Kairi, I swear to God-" He cut himself off, and he didn't yell, but it wasn't exactly calm either. "Where are you?"

"At home. Where else would I be?" I asked like it was a stupid question, but I tugged on my shirt nervously.

"You weren't when I got home." He sighed, but kept talking. "Just stay there."

"Okay, I can do that." I promised, and I turned the phone off so he couldn't talk again. I was dreading the moment when he would come home, because then I'd have to explain where I was…

I heard the front door open, so I stood up from the couch and waited for them both to enter. I stood there awkwardly as they ran over to me, wrapping me in their arms.

"My God, Kairi." Nathan whispered, breaking away but placing his hands on my shoulders. "Where were you? I thought they took you away again."

"I was here the whole time!" I replied honestly. "Really, I was."

"But we searched everywhere for you." Nathan countered, pointing to him and Serah. "We called you, yelled your name, we tried the neighbors, but nobody knew where you were." He looked deep into my eyes with his pure brown ones that copied Dad's so well. "Please tell me where you were."

I placed my hands on his shoulders, copying him. "I'm dead serious. I was here."

Nathan shook his head fast, flipping his hair to the side of his face. "Fine, if you don't want to tell me, just don't do it again, okay?"

I sighed, but nodded. I knew I was telling the truth, but I wanted them to believe me. Although I wasn't about to give them the secret of The System. It was the most exciting thing I've done in years, even if it was unbelievable. I'd tell them eventually, you know, once I get through all the games… but I don't know when that'll be, or how long it'll take.

I waited for them to get settled in and calm again before attempting to talk to them. I could tell Nathan was still pretty upset, making the guilt inside me rise. I wish I would be able to tell them without them freaking out, but I knew it wasn't possible. I really wished they'd leave again so I could get back on, but I knew that wasn't happening. I guess I'd just have to wait until night…

Dinner was pretty much silent with the exception of some small talk. I kept my eyes on my food and never looked any of them in the eye, but I kept myself occupied with my thoughts. It would've just been awesome to take them with me, to enjoy the games and have fun… and we didn't even have to travel. It could be the vacation we were looking for!

But I kept it to myself as I snuck downstairs when everyone went to bed. I entered the office, tip-toeing over with a flashlight so I could see. Once the screen lit up I turned it off, hooked on my controller and I continued the settings. I wasn't scared when I saw the red line. I was excited when I pixilated, and I was off to the next game in line.