XXXI : The Confession

GWEN

Gwen tossed her head back as she and Edward were on their fourth shot; though, she was drinking regular whiskey while he was drinking his vampire concoction.

As she slammed her shot glass down on the table, she couldn't help but slowly grin at Edward. His tie was still perfect against his dress robes, though his eyes looked somewhat glazed over and his usual crooked smile looked a bit off.

"What are you thinking?" Edward asked suddenly, as he caught her eye.

"Nothing" Gwen teased, as she slightly laughed at his rather repetitive question.

Edward had a frustrated look on his face, though it softened as he reached over to her to tuck a piece of stranded hair behind her ear.

"I'll never know what's going on in your mind, will I?"

"I don't know what's going on in there most of the time, so I guess you're not missing out too much."

Edward let out a chuckle, as he his eyes narrowed, as though he were trying to focus on her mind. Surprisingly, it made her feel at ease he could not read her mind. Because in her current state of haze, she really couldn't stop herself from admiring how handsome and breathtaking he truly was.

"I don't believe that" Edward said gently, letting his hand fall from her ear and slowly fall down her arm, tracing her skin.

She felt goosebumps appear where he trailed her skin with his cold fingers, as her heart began to rage in her chest.

"Why don't you tell me what you're thinking about?"

Edward looked taken aback, as though he was not expecting that reply. However, he recomposed himself quickly and said, "I'm thinking about how exquisitely beautiful you look tonight. If I could breathe, truly breathe, I would use the expression that you were taking my breathe away."

Gwen was taken aback as she took in the sincerity of his words. For one wild second, she thought he was joking. But he was actually being genuine. He truly meant what he said.

"You're good" Gwen said, as she broke into a smile. "You're really good. I almost believed you there!"

"But...I'm being serious."

"I am too, I mean--" Gwen laughed as she felt embarrassment from how he was looking at her. "I can't tell if its that vampire alcohol talking or--"

"It's all me" Edward said seriously, as she could tell he was trying to look focused. But she could still see him slightly swaying to the side. "It's all me."

Gwen narrowed her dark eyes, blushing as she felt her heart hammering in her chest. Edward's words were pretty. He was saying all of the right things to make her feel emotions she didn't think she could feel again. The way he touched her made her heart beat rapidly. Just speaking to him and seeing the tortured old soul and how easily he was flustered by her amused her greatly.

Edward didn't make her sad or make her think she was a monster for what she had done...

But this was not the time. Though the words he was saying were perfect...He didn't know her. Not really. Whatever image he had made up of her, it wasn't real.

The raven-haired woman didn't know what to think, so instead, she reached for another shot and passed Edward one, which he took willingly.

She was a mess. She knew this. But this is how she survived.