XXXIX : The Liar

GWEN

Gwen took her time in her home, looking through the rooms to make sure Cal wasn't there. She knew from the last time she spoke with him, he had been staying with the Quilieute's. Checking her watch, it was about 6am. The time difference had really been throwing her off.

Knowing it was still pretty early, Gwen changed into new clothing to better reflect the weather and then Disapparated to the forest near Jacob Black's home. Though the Vampires weren't allowed on the reservation, it didn't mean she was.

The Blacks' house was a small wooden place with narrow windows, the dull red paint making it resemble a tiny barn. She stepped out of the forest as her brown eyes flickered towards the windows, making sure no one had seen her.

Taking out her small phone, she dialed Cal.

"Gwen?" Cal answered, sounding groggy as though he had just woken up.

"Where are you old man? I just made it back."

"I'm at the Reservation" Cal yawned.

"Me too."

"What?"

"I'm by the Black's home. Where are you? Catch me up! What's going on with the treaty? The newborns? Any battle plans?"

"I'm at the Clearwater's house."

"Okay, you're going to have to help me out here since I only know where the Black family lives."

"Just stay there! I'll meet you there."

The raven-haired woman waited impatiently, tapping her boots lightly to the floor. Now that she had been back to Forks for some time, she was back to business. They had no idea what they were going to find when they came back to Forks, but everything looked the same. Still and quiet.

Gwen wondered how it was going with Edward and his family, wondering if now that they were back, he would change his mind. She hated thinking she was the reason why he would break up with Bella. She didn't mean for this to happen at all. They both didn't plan for it. It just happened.

And though they both promised to be friends...Gwen felt a lightness in her chest when she thought about the possibility of a future of traveling and getting to know Edward. She made it clear she would never be a vampire...But maybe, just maybe, they could figure out a solution that worked for both of them.

As her heart jumped unexpectedly in excitement in her chest, Gwen couldn't help but smile slightly. When she had taken this assignment in Forks, meeting Edward and feeling these emotions was the last thing she thought would happen to her.

"Hey!" Cal called, as Gwen turned to see her partner.

She was surprised as she smiled at him and he looked almost frustrated with her.

"What are you doing here?" Cal asked, as he nodded his head towards the open woods and they walked further from the homes on the reservation.

"What do you mean what am I doing here? There's a war happening soon, I want to know how I can help. What are we doing? What happened exactly after Edward and I left? What is the status of the treaty?"

Cal sighed as he lifted his wand and placed a silencing charm around them, "Well, I managed to help stop a war from breaking out after Edward broke the treaty. Though, in using magic in front of the wolves, I had to show them what I was."

"The wolves are magical too, you were hardly breaking any laws. They saw me do magic too."

"Once I paralyzed both sides, I made sure they understood what I was. I un-enchanted Sam first, before his other wolves descended on us. Jasper helped in calming them down, and I guess, with my presence, we were able to try to work things out with the broken treaty. Since the treaty was broken and there were new developments with me being involved, they needed to take this to their Elders. Though, Jacob Black had a condition."