XII : The Witch

She had reached for his hand, finding a pleasant sense of comfort that he took it once more. As their hands interlocked, the joining of the two were opposites; soft and stone, warm and cold. But in a way, they were a good match. And perhaps, it was the newly formed trust between the two species that made it so.

Or perhaps, it was Gwen letting her guard down when every inch of her body was screaming at her not to. She could have easily trapped Edward. Petrified him until Cal showed up. They could have questioned Edward for hours. Taken him in and had the Wizarding World know about these new vampires, that threatened her life twice now.

But as she held her wand to him, she knew she could not. And if that had been a mistake, well, it was one she would have to pay the price for.

Gwen led Edward into her home, as she was subconsciously unaware of his cold hand sending shivers up her arm when they connected.

As they walked in, she dropped his hand carefully as she turned back to look at him with a sly smile.

"What?" Edward asked, a tone of gentler frustration in his voice.

"I was just seeing if you were actually able to come in without me inviting you inside."

She had expected him to frown or get angry. Maybe even grow hostile. But to her surprise, he simply laughed out loud. It had been the first time she had ever fully heard him laugh. It was as though his face transformed from a serious one to a genuine and happy one, as his laugh echoed throughout the house in a perfect pitch tone.

Gwen couldn't help but smile as well. When he laughed, truly laughed, it was contagious. And it surprised her.

Edward grinned cheerfully, as he peered around the home carefully, as though curious to everything inside.

"My cauldron and broom are upstairs" Gwen said in a playful manner. But indeed, her cauldron and broom were in her room.

Edward looked at her with a smile and the same frustration he often held when it came to him studying her face, "What are you thinking? Right now?"

"What are you thinking?"

Edward scoffed, as he shook his head.

"I'm sorry" Gwen said, holding back a laugh. "But it's a little strange you ask that a lot. I wondered what it might be like to ask you the same thing."

Edward paused, as he looked intensely at her eyes, as though hoping to burn a hole right through her. But this time, it wasn't the type of glare that intimidated her. There was no hostility. It was the same look of intense fascination he had been exemplifying towards her before.

"I can see how that might be frustrating" Edward admitted, pausing for a long while before he continued. With the same look of gentle impatience, he continued. "I can read everyones minds. Even my siblings. Except yours. And Bella's of course."

"Of course" Gwen said, as her heart skipped when he mentioned the muggle girl. So, was that what drew him to Bella? That he could not read Bella's mind? But what did that mean...That he could not read hers as well?

Edward then took a seat in the living room, as he looked at her expectantly. Gwen continued to mull over his words in her mind. A vampire that could read minds, that was interesting. It made sense in a way...The way he sometimes acted. At least, the way he often acted so frustrated towards her. It started to add up.

"Are you surprised?" Edward said, with an entertained look in his eye. Maybe due to the fact he finally surprised Gwen, and it was written all over her face.