{4} Better off as friends

As she sat across Cedric Diggory, she decided that while it was great, and he was great, it didn't feel quite right. Because she was pretty sure that when you're on a date with a guy you supposedly like, George Weasley isn't all that you're supposed to think about. On the other hand, Cedric seemed to be beaming. What she was about to say was going to
ruin his mood.
"Ced?"
"Yes?" He smiled, "Is everything alright?"
"Oh, yeah everything's fine." She nodded. "Actually, it isn't. Look, Ced, I like you, like a lot. But I value our friendship and us dating could ruin it, and that just doesn't sit right for me."
"Oh, uh-" Cedric started.
"Look I just think we'd be better off as friends." Odette said. "Besides, in a year or so, we'll both be mentally mature enough and I'll be happy to be with you then if you'd like." She smiled.
"Okay." He sighed, then smiled. "Okay. I truly do hope he becomes yours one day."

Becomes mine? What? She thought to herself as the brunette boy and she left after having paid. Cedric then tripped on something, and fell to the ground, possibly hitting his head.
"Cedric! Are you alright?" She asked.
"Yes, yes."
"Get up, people are watching!"
"Please, I do not care what people say."
She smiled, "did you happen to hit your head too hard?"
"Nope, I'm perfectly fine. Besides, we can say I fell for you."
She grimaced, "never do that again."

Odette ran into the Gryffindor common room to go change into her quidditch equippment but was stopped by three familiar coughs. Oh great.
"Well, well, well. Guess who decided to finally show up." Fred said.
"Oh come on. Not now-" Odette said.
"You know we hold grudges Detta." Lee said.
"Fine." She got on top of the table in the common room. "Hear ye, hear ye!" Everyone turned to look at her. "I, Odette Potter, DEEPLY apologize for going to Hogsmeade to hang out with my FRIEND and not inviting these idiots. Good?" She wanted to get down but her foot slipped on the corner of the table "Gah!" She was ready to fall with her face but two hands caught her.
"Why thank you Weasley." She smiled at George.
"Why are you helping her? She betrayed us." Lee said.
"Who's gonna help with homework then?" George asked.

"That was very unecessary." Odette scoffed, hitting George on the shoulder. "Put me down."
He let her go and a few moments later a muffled screaming match boomed outside the door.
"Let me in!" A boy's voice beamed.
"I can't." The fat lady said. "You don't have the password."
"Gosh lady! It's an emergency!" He said again.
"Is that?" George started.
"Caspian?" Fred ended. Caspian was Odette's slytherin best friend. They'd been friends ever since Odette could remember.
"That is for sure Cas."

"JUST LET ME IN!" The shouts got louder. "I HAVE TO TALK TO ODETTE!"
"You need a password sir." The fat lady said.
"Okay, we need this to stop." Odette opened the door.
"About fucking time." He said barging in. "We need to talk."
"What about?"
"The fact that you rejected Cedric fucking Diggory."
"You rejected Cedric?" Lee asked.
"Yeah?" She said. "What's the big deal, Cas?"
"What's the big deal? What's the- the big deal is that you just rejected the hottest guy of the fucking year! I mean he even liked you." Caspian said falling on to the couch.
"Aren't we being a tad bit overdramatic?" Odette said.
"Also let me rephrase that. Hottest guy in school!" Caspian said.

"Wait let me process that. Just yesterday you said you liked him back." Fred said.
Odette did not know how to explain.
"I do. It just doesn't feel right at the moment." Odette said.
"So you're planning on saying yes next time?" Lee asked.
"Yeah. But I'm 13 and I still want to enjoy life you know, single? Besides he said he'd wait for me." She said.
"AWWWWW." Caspian said. "I swear if you break the guy's heart-"
"Calm down, I won't." She smiled.
"So you wanna go around and shag people?" Fred asked.
"What is it with you and shagging?" Odette asked.
"What can I say, it's a passion of mine."
"Disgusting." Odette groaned. "What now Cas?"

"Thomas finally grew enough balls to ask me out."
"AAHHH!" Odette shouted. "You're lying!"
"I'm not! Gosh it's about bloody time he tells me about his feelings!" Caspian said.
"You sure we're still talking about him?" Odette asked.
"Shove off." He frowned. "What about you, George? Have you found anyone yet?"
"What? Oh, uh. Yes, but she doesn't feel the same." He responded.
"Who's the lucky girl?" Odette asked.
"I'd like to keep it a secret, thanks." He said.
"That's not fair, but okay."