{10} The bird

Every year, the one day Odette dreaded most was the last day of school. Now most students would be happy it would finally come to an end, but when people left what they so-called "home" to go live with their abusive family, they would dread it too. Her motive to go back had vanished the moment Harry had turned eleven, for now she would not have someone to go home to. Summers were an endless routine of chores and unecessary fighting. Late nights were the only time she finally felt like she could be true to herself, because it was when the world fell quiet. No Vernon buzzing in her ear all day, no Petunia whining about every little thing, no Dudley. The mere fact that the kid breathed seemed to bother Odette. She might have liked him, had he not been raised the way he was.

When she did not have the night time, especially at Hogwarts, she had the fireplace and the noise of cracking wood that came out of it. She was cuddled up to herself on top of the red couch in the common room, staring at the fire, watching as little sparks flew out of it, when she heard the sound of familiar footsteps walking into the room. She did not need to look to know who they belonged to. She turned to see her favorite set of twins standing looking at her. One of them slightly taller, with quite longer hair and a bit of a crooked nose, and the other one with slightly shorter hair than the other. Respectively, George and Fred Weasley.

"Morning." George said in a still-sleepy tone.
"Good morning!" Odette chimed, opening up her arm so he could cuddle up to her while Fred took up the small sofa.
"Why don't you come to the Burrow?" Said Fred.
George had gone under the blanket and draped an arm around her. She snuggled up to him, leaning her head on his chest. "As per Dumbly's orders, I must stay with Petunia."
"That hardly seems fair." Said George.
"Nothing has ever been fair in my life." Odette sighed.

They stood like that for a while, talking as if Summer was a mere hour away. Odette loved how George seemed to make everything disappear. Every unwelcomed thought in Odette's head took a leave when her eyes met George Weasley's.
"You know, you could move in with us. Bill and Charlie have moved out, so mum wouldn't mind." Fred knocked her out of her stance.
"No. I can't do that. I can't be a burden to Molly."
"You would never be a burden to us." Said George. "You are more than welcomed in our house, as I am sure mum loves you more than she loves us."
Odette laughed before answering, "You seem to forget Harry and I come as a package."
"And you seem to forget we love you both dearly." Fred countered.

Odette's heart warmed. She had forgotten that she was not alone, not really. That her twins would always be there as a shoulder to lean on if needed. But Dumbledore had made it clear that she had to stay in Privet Drive, no matter how much her heart might have disdained it.
"And I love you all dearly, too." She smiled, her hand finding the back of George's head. His hair was soft as she ran her fingers through it and he leaned into her touch. In the midst of their conversation, she had forgotten what she had woken up for. "I've got to go." She scrambled off George.
"Where to?" He asked.
"I ought to meet Cedric." She said, shooting a pointed glare toward Fred.

She ran across the halls, looking for the brunette boy. Everyone seemed to blend into each other and she barely missed him, confusing him for comeone else.
"Cedric!" She called out.
He stopped, and he seemed to take a deep breath before turning around. When he did, he was looking at just about anything but Odette. "Yes?" They had not spoken in days and all he had to offer her was yes?!
"Look. You and I both know the twins are protective of me, as we are very close. But our relationship does not depend on Fred's opinions, or George's concerns. We are friends who may or may not be attracted to each other, but what we do about it does not depend on anyone but us." She said, running out of breath.
He stared at her, blinking quietly a few times. Then he smiled, "I'm glad you think so, and I truly am sorry that I've been avoiding you. I just assumed since they know you so well-"
"Fred may know me well but he does not determine my feelings toward something." Something about him blaming both the twins set Odette on edge. George had nothing to do with this.
He nodded, "I'm glad."
She spotted the boy behind him. "Anthony's waiting. You should go."
He turned to look at him, "Yeah, I should."

___________________

There was a bird that kept pecking at their window as the train was on the road back home. She was staring at it as it pecked the window over and over, trying to reach her. Fred shook her out of her trance, calling her.
"What's got your tongue in a twist?" He asked.
She stared out the window, about to tell him about the bird, but it was no longer there. "Well, there was this bird. It was trying to catch up but- AH." The bird hit the window with full force, and died upon impact. George shielded her eyes, grasping her in his arms.
"Is it.." Asked Fred.
"As dead as it gets." Answered Odette.