Chapter 4

Matt

I lay in bed beside Rachel awake for the second night in a row. She went to see the Doctor. She willingly got up without being bribed or forced or anything and went to the doctor. That really did something to me. She had to have been feeling horrible to get up and go herself and that thought alone is not okay. I should have said something more than a three-worded question. I shouldn't have taken her answer. I should have found out for myself. I should have-- I looked over as she stirred under my arms. I let out another sigh. Good thing she's okay but my mind keeps going back to the point where she wasn't.

My hand lightly caressing her cheek and her eyes fluttering open. She's always been a semi-light sleeper.

"You're awake, " she said leaning in closer to my touch.

"I couldn't sleep, "

Her eyes held a saddened look before she got up and checked the time on the clock.

"How long has this been going on?" she asked full turning to face me.

"Not long, " I said trying not to make the situation bigger than it is.

"Why are you awake?"

"Why did you go to the doctor?"

Silence filled the room before she said "I can't do this anymore, " and got up.

"Can't do what?" I asked follow her to our closet. "Alright what is going on?" I said slightly raising my voice.

"You know it's funny you like surprising people but I can't surprise you, " she said as she reaches for a green box hidden behind her clothes and pulling me out with her. She pushes me on the bed and climbed up on my lap.

"I wanted to do this whole thing Saturday, " she said looking back at the time. "Well later that day anyway but I should have known things wouldn't go according to plan. Here, " she said handing me the box.

I reluctantly took the box and open it throwing out all the tissue paper my eyes zooming in on a piece of clothing. I took it out only to realize that it's a baby clothing and it said 'I have the best Daddy ever' My heart races as I realize what this is saying.

"You're pregnant, " I whispered trying to keep my cool.

"I am, " she smiled placing a kiss on my cheek.

I was too stunned to react.

"You're pregnant!" I said jumping up with her in my arms and squeezing her

"You're pregnant, " I said again a tear slipping down my cheek.

"I guess they do mean what they say when they say third time is the charm, " she said looking down at me.

"Holy Mother of Mary," I said pacing around the room. "How did this happen?"

She gave me a look. "You want to know how I'm pregnant. Really?" She asked sarcastically.

"What's the gender?" I asked ignoring her question.

"I don't yet,"

"I want to know,"

She giggled "Matt we can't know yet. I'm early,"

"How many weeks?"

"Seven now,"

"How many weeks until we can know?"

"I think 16,"

I groaned.  "That's so long from now,"

"I know, "

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I just did," she said slapping her hands on her legs.

"I gave her a look saying she knows what I mean.

"I wanted to surprise you this one time but nooooo," she said rolling her eyes.

"I can't help but be worried sometimes,"

"I know," her eyes softening.

She checked the time again my eyes following hers. 3:40am. She yawned making a gagging motion a little bit after.

"Gosh I just brush my teeth like six hours ago,"

"It happens,"

"But yours doesn't smell bad,"

"That's because I don't sleep with my mouth open,"

"You. Did. Not. Say. That," she gasped. "I do not—" she paused when I leaned my head to the side a questioning look on my face.

"I don't!" She squeaked and I try to keep myself from loosing it.

"Honey it's okay,"

Her eyes meet mine in horror. Before she ran to the bathroom slamming the door behind her.

"Hey open up!" I said laughter threatening to spill.

"Leave me alone!" She said from behind the door.

"It's not as bad as you think it is,"

"You're not helping,"

"You're hot,"

"Matt,"

"I want your—"

"Matthew James!" She yelled stopping me knowing what I was going to say.

"I think you look beautiful when you sleep,"

"Please stop,"

"Alright, I'm coming in," I said twisting the door knob before my hand reach the top door for the key. I opened it and stepped into the dark room.

"Baby?"

"Don't talk to me," she said.

Must be the hormones I thought. "Cmon it's not even bad," I said my hand finding the light switch before my eyes zoomed in on her in the bathtub.

"Now what are you doing in there?"

"I'm sleeping in here from now on so when I wake up I have my toothbrush,"

"You're not sleeping in there,"

"You can't tell me what to do," hey voice imitating that of a child's

Definitely the hormones I thought. Out of all the possible scenarios I thought of, pregnancy was not one of them.

"Okay then scoot over I'm coming in," I said slipping off my shoes.

———————————————————————— Anyone else imagines themselves as the main characters or is it just me?