Chapter 17

Rachel

I woke up to yet again an empty space beside me. This is the fifth night in a row.

After getting ready for the day or trying to anyway. I made my way downstairs.

"Sweetheart is that you?"

"Yeah I'm coming down,"

"Stop I'll meet you halfway,"

"That's not necessary. I'm almost down,"

Before I could go any further there he is.

"Good morning," he said placing a kiss on my cheek.

"It is a good morning indeed," I said before he picked me up and carried me down the rest of the stairs. This time I didn't try to argue. There was no point.

"Rachel is that you?" My father asked.

"Yes I'm coming papa,"

I made my way into the kitchen to see my dad behind the stove. I didn't know how to feel or act. Walking to him I whispered good-looking and kissed him on the cheek.

"You're cooking breakfast?" I asked confused.

"No of course not. Your mother asked me to make sure the pancakes don't burn. She went to search for something,"

"Oh that sounds more like it. Here give it to me I'll take over from here,"

"Sounds great,"

"No give me that," my mom came in a took the spatula out of my dads' hands.

"Marcus you had one job,"

"I did and I made sure the pancakes didn't burn,"

"Then explain this,"

"Wait what? but it was just pale a second ago!"

I silently laughed. Oh boy.

"Because that's the batter still on top. I meant make sure the—how are you a lawyer?"

"How are you a principal? I guess we'll never know,"

"You son of a..."

"It's a beautiful day today don't you think?" I asked before the situation could escalate any further.

The both of them snapped their heads toward me.

"It is indeed,"

"Ah good morning fellow family, " my mother-in-law (Margret) said with my father-in-law (Alex short for Alexander) following behind her. He just gave a quick nod. It was obvious who was the morning person and who was not.

"Sit down breakfast is almost ready, " my mom said.

"Well good morning to me too, " Margret mumbled taking a seat at the island.

"That means you too potato, "

I gasped "I am not a potato. I am a watermelon, "

Everyone paused and turn to look at me.

"What?"

"I-a potato is way less smaller--forget it, " my mom said throwing her hands up as if quitting.

"Where's Sarah?" mom asked dad.

"Honey I've been in the kitchen for the last hour. The same place as you so I don't know where she is but I can tell you where she's not...in here, "

Mom rolled her eyes "Sarah!" "Sarah!!!"

I look around expecting to see Matt but he's not here either. When did he leave?

I leave the kitchen and something told me to head to his office. Before I opened the door I heard him talking to someone.

"You're not going to win. I hope you know that. You wanna fight, I'll fight too. Game on devil game on, "

Then I heard the printer. What the heck is going on?
As quietly as I could I cracked the door open to get a better understanding.

"And if you think for one second I'm going to compromise with you, you have another one coming, "  he said as he walked to the printer pulling out a stack of papers.

"Just the way you want to torment me right now. I'm going to torment you. I'm going to make you suffer. I'm going to remind you of who you used to be every single day for at least the next four months, "

I closed back the door inhaling a breath of relief. Thank you Lord. Thank you Lord. I thought I was losing him. I thought I was losing my husband. I thought he was going insane and that he couldn't handle this but I'm happy to admit I'm wrong. I've never been so happy to be wrong.

I ease up off the door not liking that I'm listening to his little rant and find my way to the bathroom to clean myself up.

It felt like I huge chunk of weight dropped off me and for the first time in what feels like an eternity. For the rest of the day I had no pain.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Aright I have two things to discuss here folks. First. I'm horrible at remembering my character's names so I just felt the need to name them all in this chapter and write them down. If I named them any other name before ignore it. I'll go back and fix it.

Okay second. Shout out to my pastor for my inspiration on this chapter. One Sunday morning my Pastor said "Do you know what's one of the worst torment the devil could face? When you praise God. Why? Because it reminds him of what he used to do...what he used to be...how good he had it." Those are not his exact words but close enough. If you don't know what I'm talking about this is a great time to point you back to God's word. READ YOUR BIBLE.

Love you guys. Toodles