Chapter 20

Matt

Beep beep beep. I kneeled by Rachels's bedside praying the most I've ever prayed in my entire life. Three days. It has been three days.

It was all such a blur. The ambulance came not too long after. I could see my father-in-law trying to catch up but I didn't care. She mattered first.

The EMTs screamed at each other to make a decision if they should focus on saving her or our baby.

I was trying not to have an attack myself. She was fine. It was all unexpected. All in the time of a couple of minutes she went from feeling fine to on her death bed. My hands balled in fists.

"You're still good. I praise You in spite of what may be going on. You are worthy to be praised. I thank You that she's still alive. Thank you for keeping our baby alive. Thank you for everything Lord, "

I looked up and her. I haven't spoken to her in three days. Three days felt like three years but she's breathing so I'm grateful.

We were in the ER. We had to be flown out here because it was that bad. Instead of one doctor being assigned to us like the usual we have a whole team of docs trying their best to keep both of them alive. It's so painful to watch. If I could switch places I would.

Dr. Kelly came in for what seems like the hundredth time today. This time I knew it was with bad news.

"It's highly unlikely that she'll be pregnant again. Her body can't handle it. The only reason I'm not saying impossible is because of the luck that might happen,"

"You mean miracle?"

"Um sure. If that's what you think it is,"

"I don't think so I know so,"

He sighed getting irritated "Either way it's gonna be really hard so try not to get your hopes up of safely having another child or children. As for right now, she's going to need to be in the hospital for the remainder of her pregnancy. We don't know when or even if she's going to wake up. We're closely monitoring the baby and that if we need to take her out we can immediately and safely do so and right now she's okay our main focus is your wife. I'm going to give it another two weeks for her to wake up but if she doesn't wake up by then...she may never wake up, "

"She'll wake up, " I said not giving in.

He looked at me as if I'm questioning his work.

"Miracles right?"

He rolled his eyes "Sure. Anyways we're going to continue feeding her and the baby with liquid through the tube placed in her mouth. We're going to have to take the baby early because she's growing pretty fast so when she hits the 8-month mark which is in the next two weeks we'll be monitoring the baby as closely as we possibly can. The last thing we want is the placenta to not provide enough food or a cord wrapped around her neck or even wors,"

"Anything else?"

"Yes still no visitors until she wakes up or at least the baby comes out. There's a possibility she can hear us right now and bringing in loved ones around her who'll probably say all the wrong things...we just...her condition is that bad that we don't want to risk it, "

I nodded in agreement. He was probably right. She already has a high enough blood pressure.

He left the room after going through a few more things and I crawled in the bed beside her.

"Hey sweetheart. I don't know if you can hear me or not but if you can don't give up on us. I'm right here. I won't leave you. I probably stink but I don't care. I need you to fight for me okay? Fight for us? The devil can't win. Not with us. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. That means all of us have to be alive because you're a part of this house. Are you understanding what I'm saying?"

I looked at her expecting to answer. Nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------
🤐🤐🤐