Family, Friendships and Relationships - Sociology Paper

Grace Crilly
Sociology 101

Growing up I only wanted one close best friend. I will say is that I did feel insecure that other peers I had in school were popular and had like 20 to 30 friends. Although, the one thing I wondered was 'How well did those friends know each other?' 'Were all of them close enough that they knew everything about each other?' There's a 50/50 chance that may or may not be true. There were other kids that knew me, but weren't friends with me. About a year ago when I took psychology my freshman year of Harper, I had a reading that was either for an assignment or for studying I don't clearly remember. What I did was I read a summary from either the book that we were using or I found this online somewhere. The summary was about the stages of relationships on individuals as they grow. The first stage is forming your relationship with your parents during elementary school age. The second stage is forming friendships, which goes into the ages in elementary, middle, high school and college. The third in the stage is forming relationships which happens in the ages of high school and college. Besides this summary, I've heard of romantic relationships forming in the ages of middle school, high school and college. Although, this is argumental about forming romantic relationships is whether it's appropriate or not. The conflict here is the argument if middle school age is too young to have feelings for someone in the way of having a romantic relationship. I did some research online and told me at the age of being in middle school that teenagers should be allowed to date, but should know their responsibilities when it comes to being in a relationship, priorities, not to be pressured, and have permission from their parents. (Sources: Quora, wikihow, psychology today, Healthy Children Accessed 02/11/21). Growing up, I also have noticed that the television I watched growing up has displayed standards about forming romantic relationships in high school and dealing with bullies. It was most common for ages in middle school and high school is when they form romantic relationships. I had more conflicts with bullies as a young kid rather than a teenager. People's own opinion comes into play about the choices that they want to make when it comes to relationships both as a teenager and as an adult, you have to listen to both sides before making a decision. I often found it frustrating watching television that set standards for young teenagers to be dating and having their first kiss in middle school and high school. I often found it frustrating that I couldn't keep up with the standards when it came to forming friendships and relationships. Only thing I really wanted growing up was one close best friend. In school I was never popular, there were people that knew me, but weren't really friends with me. The first friend I made was in the first grade who was helping me on an assignment, our first grade teacher asked her to help me. For this assignment I'm not going to say her real name I'm just going to call her Marissa. Marissa and I became best friends, however it took longer for me to realise that really she was only my friend to look out for me. She knew about my disability which made me feel she was only my friend because she felt pity on me. Marissa didn't feel like a real friend to me, because of that reason. This wasn't just the one social conflict that I had growing up, I was bullied in elementary school and had personal issues at home with my parents. The personal issues I had with my parents growing up often made me feel that I would be incompatible to be in a relationship with a special someone. I still feel this way. I'm not even sure if I'm ever going to be ready for a relationship. Even though my friendship with Marissa didn't go well, before I went into middle school I met this girl who has been my best friend ever since. I'm going to call her Elisabeth. The friendship that I have with Elizabeth has been the truest friend I've ever had and the only best friend I ever had. To me she is and she's not just my best friend, she's my sister. have an older brother, I'm not going to say his name, but him and I fought a lot growing up, but around the ages of him going into college and me leaving high school was when we were more mature. Maturity in any relationship whether friendship, romantic relationship and family is what makes that relationship stronger. Him and I get along more often now and have been able to talk to one another about anything now. I notice that Elizabeth and my brother are really the most healthy relationship I have with anyone. This observation was about how there are positive and negative impacts on individuals how they grow up with forming relationships. I discussed how this affects me in my life to prove my point.
I still have a lot I should do for myself and to learn as I become an adult.