Social Media Observation - Sociology Paper

Grace Crilly
Sociology 101

What goes on in the world today is change. The environment, people, politics and media changes. The question I have for my discussion is, "Is change a good thing or a bad thing?" People react differently to change, where some people do well with change and some people don't. I'm the type of person who doesn't do well with change. I use this question, "Is change a good thing or a bad thing?" to base this on to discuss how social media has changed from what other people think to my opinion. When was the last time you've checked your social media? There's a chance you might see something different on the application or that the format of the app might look completely different. Social media impacts' peoples lives and on the influence of depression and anxiety based on seeing your peers likes and comments. A healthy choice that improves people's struggle with depression and anxiety should take a break from social media to work on their self-esteem. Both my best friend and I have done this for ourselves and it made us feel so much better about ourselves. The social media I use is usually Instagram. Just a few months after I let myself go back online, Instagram added a new feature, reels. Reels are a short-15 second video you can edit and make any kind of changes to. Before Instagram added this feature, Youtube had the same thing. The first place where it started was from an application called Tik Tok, which is widely popular today. Instagram and youtube updated their apps with reels, to create audience's more interested to use the application to gain popularity. Although, reels weren't the start of trends. Trends are a change or develop in a general direction. Social media uses trends in ways to improve the application, allowing users to use new features on social media like Snapchat, YouTube and TikTok. Where these apps use trends in direction of a rivalry between the companies to use the same feature to attract the population. The features they used are reels and stories to keep up with each other and I have proof to prove it. The app Snapchat had launched back in summer 2011. In 2013 Snapchat allowed users to create stories to share with their friends, who can also let people view their stories publicly and privately. Youtube was the first to launch from Google, overall of the years, Youtube has updated the format. Tiktok was launched back in 2016, where the videos that are posted are a short - 15 second video, reels. The year 2017, was when Youtube had added reels and short stories as a new feature. These apps are owned by three different companies, competing each other for popularity in use for users today. They all follow each other's trends. Trends are the "What's hot?" and "What's new?" which doesn't let anyone be individual and original on these sites. Is this a good thing or bad thing? Some people might say that it is a good thing, because it's good to be up to date about what your friends have been into when you haven't seen them in a while. Where people find songs and dances they like to share in interest in. I usually hear why people like social media such as Tik Tok Is because of this reason to keep up on what other people like, however, what I want to reflect on is based on my opinion. People do this just so they can be liked. People follow trends just to be cool not to be themselves. I personally think that trends are unhealthy for an individual's mental health. I want to be able to ask people, "How can you go on an app/site that just makes you feel insecure about yourself? Why can't you do something that you want to do, not because you feel like you have to do something in order for people to like it? Even if you make a video that makes you feel self conscious that was posted it all that shows is you being you," other people find trends as a positive thing instead of a negative. I find it as a negative and I want to be able to tell people my reasons why they should understand it's okay to mess up and not have the need to copy people. I'm using social imagination to give them a different perspective from what they already think and know. I also would like to know if the reader's thoughts have changed at all from their thoughts to hearing my opinion.