"Can Type A and B Personalities Mix?" - Sociology Paper

Grace Crilly
Sociology 101

Can a person have both type A and type B personalities? I personally think that it is possible especially the fact I show traits of both types of personalities. Characteristics of that what I show in type A is that I am competitive, self-critical, strike goals without a feeling of joy and effort, ambitious, outgoing, a workaholic, and struggle with time management. Another trait type A has is that they easily get angry. I do feel like I get this way, but I also know when to bite my tongue when I do get angry, so I don't act hostile. Even if I do that though, people find it easier to act that way towards me when I try to respect them and keep my mouth shut. When I get angry, I usually feel like I need to punch and kick something until I don't feel angry anymore. Type A hostility does involve aggression so I would say that is also a trait that I have in a type-A personality. Where I find myself have in common with type B personality is that I would describe myself as patient, easy-going, reflective, and shows a higher level of imagination and creativity. I find myself in both type A and type B personalities that I feel like I am both patient and impatient. I also feel like I'm relaxed in the type B personality but also tense in type A, I react differently in certain scenarios when it comes to a situation. When I have a day planned out with my family. Where we have plans but on the day of our plans end up changing in some way where I might react more tense or it might be more relaxed, for example, if at the moment I might be in the front seat of a car and I can control the radio I'm perfectly relaxed. Music as well as being in control is what makes me calm down. I would describe myself as controlling. Using the same scenario, if we were pressed for time to get somewhere I would be freaking out, but I will also be switching the radio stations to find a song that I like, this is what makes me more relaxed. To answer my question from the beginning it can be possible to have both type A and B personalities, however, referring to how to or more personality types equally in strength within a person will be considered a type X personality. What caught my eye reading 'Understanding Four Personality Types: A, B, C, and D.' that provides support to the examples I explained about myself, is when they describe individuals react different ways in different scenarios, "The individual may have a tendency to be like one type in one situation and the other type in another." This tells me that I do have a type X personality. This research has taught me that the types of personality can mix from what I originally thought, so my perspective has changed. I originally thought the types of personalities are supposed to be individual, this had taught me to be more open-minded and that there can be more than the eye to what you already know.

Sources Cited

'Understanding Four Personality Types A, B, C, and D', Accessed 02/17/21 hiresuccess.com