ACT V: Chapter Fourteen - Breaking Up My Bones (July, 2008)

The cold war between Alex and I raged on for a little over twenty four hours before I finally surrendered. My stubborn pride would have held up longer, I'm sure, but that single day of not talking past the bare minimum was more than I could stand.

To make it even worse, Alex had stayed in the guest room with Jackson, leaving me to sleep alone--which wasn't something I coped with very well. She told me it was because she didn't want him to be scared in a new place, but I had a feeling she just didn't want to be next to me after the fight that we had.

I wasn't quite sure how to approach the situation or what I should say, but after staring at the ceiling all night, with nothing but my persistent thoughts to occupy me, I decided to swallow my pride and try to smooth things over with Alex. The last thing I wanted was to keep driving a wedge between us, so I figured being present, even if I had no words to say, would get me somewhere. It was a start, if nothing else.

There was a gentle pitter patter of rain hitting the windows when I came downstairs that morning and so it was no surprise that I found Alex and Jackson in front of the TV instead of out back, like they had been most of the afternoon yesterday. Admittedly, it was a bit unusual to get rain this far into summer but I wasn't complaining about the odd blessing. Phasing back into my role next to Alex would be a lot easier if it just meant sitting on the couch with a smile as opposed to running around, trying to keep up with a three year old and my wife--who had all the energy of a three year old and more.

"Hey," I said in a gentle voice as I came to sit next to Alex on the couch. "How's it going?"

"Not too bad," Alex replied with a huge grin sprawled across her face. "Have a good rest?"

The presence of such a good natured smile assured me that Alex was actually in a pleasant mood and held no ill will for me today--as much as I probably deserved it.

"It was fine," I muttered and glanced up at the TV.

The cartoon they were watching was slightly grainy and somewhat monotone. It didn't look at all like something that would have been produced today in two thousand eight. Of course, I had never been interested in watching animation so I couldn't be completely sure of my assumption.

"Jackson's Batman isn't airing today so I thought I'd show him the one I grew up with," Alex murmured--as if she could hear my thoughts--before she nodded to the kid, who was watching the program on the ground in awe. "I think he likes it so far."

I hummed noncommittally and watched Alex's old cartoon for a few minutes but I couldn't really see the appeal. My eyes flicked back to Jackson, bouncing in his seat as the music hit a crescendo during Batman's big entrance, and then back to Alex, who was humming the tune with the same amount of enthusiasm.

I don't get it. It's just some rich guy with a deep voice wearing a ridiculous bat costume. It's not like we're dealing with intriguing tales of morality and human nature here.

The longer I watched Alex and Jackson, their eyes fixed on some dramatic fight scene between the vigilante and a couple of thugs, the more it frustrated me. I just don't understand all this kid stuff. I folded my arms and sat back with a huff. I mean it's great that Alex does, but can't she see that this is all just a huge waste of time to me.

I glanced out the window past the TV to see that the rain still hadn't let up before uttering a low sigh. Can't really get out and do much today. Maybe I could come up with an excuse to go write though. Or maybe...

"Hey."

Alex spoke beside me so suddenly I jumped in my seat with a thin cry before I turned to face her with a startled expression.