Chapter 1: That one chick

IMPORTANT

If you are reading this story on any other platform other than Wattpad, you are very likely to be at risk of a malware attack. If you wish to read this story in it's original , safe form, please go to:

https://www.wattpad.com/story/267779665-a-robin%27s-life-fxf-completed

Thank you

~*~

The forest was lively as birds were chirping with happiness during their first hatching. Females sang loudly letting know the neighbor's nest, that indeed they were expecting a good pair of chicks this year. Or more if they were lucky.

After the mothers made it clear what they expected for lunch, males were rushing quickly to get the nourishments needed: worms, insects, and some fresh berries, even if they needed to fight for it to death.

They tried to avoid doing so though. Every one of them wanted to see their offspring. The chicks will be completely hatched in a few hours, and they will be hungry. No one wanted to miss the big occasion.

Several feet were padding on the freshly grown grass looking for delicious bugs and plants.

There was an especially enthusiastic father making his way to a delicious berry bush, knowing that his beautiful pair will be joyful seeing her favorite treat after not being able to move from the eggs for two weeks.

Quickly starting to peck at the berries before the other males would find him, he swallowed one, two and three blueberries making his chest swell double the size. Feeling that he could not fit anymore in, he turned around and with two jumps he was in the air making his way towards their well-hidden nest beyond the thick leafy branches.

Seeing him approaching, the orange colored hen started to sing happily while moving her feather weight form one egg to another grateful that her love survived.

Standing up slightly she pecked at his beak and showed him the four blue colored eggs they cherished more than their life.

But this time there was a fluffy head sticking out from the broken eggshells demanding food with an open mouth and a shrieking voice. He was the firstborn. He seemed healthy and strong, even though his huge black eyes were still sealed shut.

The father quickly put two berries into his son mouth to quiet him. They didn't need any predator hearing the newly hatched vulnerable chick.

Feeling something being placed into his mouth the oldest chick grew silent trying to swallow the food he just got and the mother taking advantage of her son inattention, lay back onto them keeping her offspring warm.

The male placed the last blueberry into his mate's beak, feeding the famished mother who took it gratefully.

With one jump the father disappeared into the air, coming back with three berries again.

This time when the mother stood up there were several chirps being heard underneath her. There was only one egg left. All three of them stood there hungry and curious for the newfound freedom while waiting for food with their mouth open.

The father now needed to think wisely for who he gives the berries. One was already feed well, opening his beak just as a reflex. The other two males, because all three of them were, stood there impatiently waiting to get the important life source from their father.

Not hesitating he gave two berries to the biggest and one to the smaller one.

Butting his head with the hen, he disappeared again.

The mother hen was happy that she already has three strong chicks, but she was worried about that one egg left... It already should have hatched with its brothers.

Brushing the worry away the female know that patience was the key to everything, so she listened to the happy trills and newly hatched chirps echoing through the forest while waiting for the fourth one to hatch.

Hi there! Don't forget to vote or comment if you liked it! Thank you so much for reading! :)