Chapter 3: Circle of life

Days went by, and the chicks finally opened their eyes.

If someone went pass by their tree, they would only see a robin hen sitting in her nest and four fluffy little heads peeking out from under their mother's feathers, looking at the world with big eyes.

It was truly an adorable sight.

The father was away again providing food for his family, but mostly for her daughter who, for some reason, was always hungry. Flying back to his nest four open beak was waiting for him already.

His sons were stepping on each other and on their little sister competing for food, but the little female robin had the strength in her to push them out of the way and stand in the front line waiting for her father to put the delicious food into her stomach.

Seeing this the father let out a chirp similar to a laugh and feed his little daughter.

The other males were obviously annoyed by this and second oldest pinched his sister with his dull beak making the robin cry out feeling the pain.

However, the mother put him back to his place by pecking at him gently but warningly, to not hurt his sister.

After everyone got their belly full, the chicks went back under their mother to sleep and the hen made place for her mate to join her.

But the moment she stood up a little to scoot over, out of nothing a magpie attacked the family nest prying on the younglings. The male robin immediately went in front of the magpie letting out a loud screech while flying into them, making it impossible for the magpie to go near the chicks.

The mother seeing this ley her body down protectively over her chicks ruffling up her feathers to make sure everyone was covered and to seem bigger in case the huge bird wanted to attack her next.

The magpie, who had no chance to get the delicious chicks, flew away worriedly what she would feed her only son for dinner. She was waiting patiently behind the leaves for the hen to stand up and when she did, she attacked to early and now she doesn't have the prey.

Luckily there were more birds around the area.

Seeing the magpie fly away the parents tried both to calm their heartbeats as the attack was finally over.

The chicks underneath their mother heard everything and were laying close to each other in case the predator would come back.

                                                                                     ~*~

That afternoon they heard a loud screech of a mother who just lost her only chick ten trees next to them. After that everything went quiet. No one dared to move.

The only sound heard was the magpie letting out a victorious chirp as she flew away with a well-feed fat chick dangling from her beak. 

Hi there! Don't forget to vote or comment if you liked it! Thank you so much for reading! :)