Chapter 4: Curiosity

The robin chicks were getting bigger with their brown feathers slowly turning into orange by their belly. The males had a bright reddish-orangish color, so when they have a family, they would be the most eye-catching for the predator, protecting the hen and the chicks.

As for the only female, she inherited her mother's dull orange color so she could blend in easily with her environment.

Speaking of this little one, she was always peeking out with her head under her mother's warm belly, looking at the world with innocent eyes. Being amazed by all the kind of birds she saw flying, she wanted to try it out too.

Little did she know that it was too early for her to fly.

When her mother was not paying attention, she quickly climbed out of the mother's protective fluff and stood at the edge of the nest with her small wings wide open ready to flap with them.

But nothing happened.

Her wings did not have the right feathers yet.

She enjoyed it though. Standing in the light wind she felt like flying. The other chicks from different trees watched her in awe as she stood there bravely not caring if a predator was nearby.

She finally felt free.

Until her mother screeched at her in fright and tucked her back in.

                                                                                    ~*~

After five days it was time for them to learn how to fly. Their body was big enough with the feather fully grown out.

The small robin was so excited that she stepped on her brothers in accident who were in fright for the first flight lesson they are going to experience.

The mother and father were watching them closely deciding which one of them will be the first.

The decision was obvious as their small daughter stood in front of them while the other three males were huddled up at the back of the nest.

The father stood on the ground watching the nest closely, ready to catch his daughter in case the first attempt goes wrong.

She was slightly wobbling but stood tall as her mother showed her the basic of wing flapping.

Lifting her wings up she flapped two and the mother slightly started to rise from the ground. Seeing this the little robin started to flap with her wings too, making her go higher than her mother.

Now it was time for the serious lesson. Flying. And not in one place.

This time the mother bended her wings in a little bit, making her go forward, and then bending them back making her stop and fly in one place.

The daughter copied perfectly after seeing it happen and the mother was proud.

Now her task was to fly and land next to her father which was not as easy.

But she did this one also perfectly... She was a natural.

The mother looked down, proud that her only daughter learned so fast.

It was time to teach her sons too.

                                                                              ~*~

While her brothers were falling nonstop and crying out loud, she was flying around freely, visiting other nest, and watching chicks trying to fly for the first time.

She was happy and free.

But as she got closer to the end of the forest, she saw a huge field with thousands of flowers covering it. There was a particular blueish one catching her eyes.

It was beautiful.

But her mother's chirping brought her back from daydreaming.

It was lunch time.

Turning around she hopped a few times in the tall grass ready to take off, when she saw a blackbird watching her from a branch curiously.

This was not a robin territory anymore.

Freezing, she was ready for an attack, but the bird was just watching her.

Her mother chirps gave her enough bravery to fly off as quickly as she could, not looking back scared that it would be after her.

Her small heart was beating fast in fright but with excitement too.

Landing safely in their nest which was starting to get smaller and smaller by time, she peeked around, relieved that the bird was not following her.

She was going to go back tomorrow, but now she was just enjoying the food her siblings founded.

Hi there! Don't forget to vote or comment if you liked it! Thank you so much for reading! :)