Chapter 8: Waterlilies

They met in the middle.

Spring turned into summer, and the warm became unbearable.

In the mornings when they took off, they would be flying next to each other, keeping a close eye on food and water.

On this particular day they decided to explore a little bit farther than where they used to go in the mornings.

Flying over the big tree, marking the end of the field they lived on, they soon founded a small pond full of water lilies.

It was perfect.

The sun shone down above the trees, breaking through the thick branches and leaves, casting refreshingly cold shadows on the ground.

The two birds landed elegantly on the ground, looking around immediately for any danger. Seeing none they made their way to the water, watching three deer drinking from it peacefully.

The blackbird walked into the edge of the pond, her legs barely disappearing in the water. The small orange bird walked next to her not understanding why she is not drinking. Bending down a little bit her beak swallowed a mouthful of water cooling down her small body.

Looking back at the bigger bird she could not believe her eyes when she saw her fluffing up her black feathers diving halfway into the water getting herself minimally wet during the process, but still enjoying it.

The robin watched her for a couple of minutes then decided to join her friend in whatever she was doing.

Imitating her, she bended down halfway into the water too getting her belly wet, then she fluffed her feathers and clapped one with her wings splashing some water onto the blackbird, who stood there astonished.

There was a second of silence, they were watching each other, the robin not knowing if she did something wrong, and the blackbird waiting for the perfect moment to splash some water back at the robin.

The orange bird looked adorable trying to bath, she almost got the hang of it...only she shouldn't have flapped with her wings.

Catching the small bird of guard, the blackbird flapped one of her wings at the robin making her squeal in surprise as water landed in her eyes, making her blind for a moment.

Opening her eyes, she was not surprised at all, that the blackbird was standing in front of her, worry evident in her side glance.

She was afraid that she has scared the only friend she ever had.

But the small robin shocked the bigger bird when she attacked with both wings splashing as many water drops as she could.

Realizing it was a game they started playfully fighting and splashing each other, oblivious of the watchful eyes of the small forest.

The water was barely rippling, but the carps who were living in the pond immediately noticed the change in the water.

An old carp fish swam to the surface to see what is happening.

He was surprised to see that the three deer were drinking peacefully, but turning around he saw the cause of the unusual water waves...two female birds bathing each other the way it was usually seen by a male and female before their mating.

If that wouldn't have been enough the poor fish thought that the bigger one was attacking the smaller one but looking closely it was just a playful game between the two.

The carp swam back to the others, signaling that there is no problem.

But it was still unusual.

Hi there! Don't forget to vote or comment if you liked it! Thank you so much for reading! :)