Chapter 2: Robin

The sun started to settle down and the last egg was still unbraked. The male stocked up as much food as he could in his belly, ready to feed his fourth chick when it decides to come out.

While waiting, he already feed the hen and the other three chicks, so they were now sleeping peacefully under their mother's soft and protective fluff.

The father gently squeezed himself in next to his love making the nest fully protected against any night predators. Looking around worriedly, he was ready to protect his family even with his body.

                                                                                              ~*~

It was around 4 in the morning when the female could feel some movement underneath her. Not understanding what is happening she lightly pecked the male next to her, signaling that maybe the fourth chick had finally break through its barrier.

But it was too cold...If the mother stands up now for the father to check and feed it, the other ones could get cold, risking all their offspring for maybe a false movement.

They both decided against it and waited till the sun started to rise giving enough warm for the mother to stand up from her chicks. It felt like forever for the temperature in the forest to rise and the hen couldn't stop fretting around the nest in impatience.

After five long hours the father decided it is warm enough, so the mother stood up and looked under her, giving out a happy chirp as she saw the fourth chick hatched out, the eggshell still hanging from her backside.

Hearing her mother's voice, the little robin stood up on shaky legs and started run around blindly with and open beak demanding food with her brothers from their parents.

The male fed his youngest one, the only female chick they had, with a long pinkish worm, the best treat a bird could find.

It was a present from her father, welcoming her into this new world, happy that all four of their chicks had hatched and that he had one daughter at the end.

Hi there! Don't forget to vote or comment if you liked it! Thank you so much for reading! :)