Chapter 12: Mating time

Everyone's body was pumping with adrenaline as mating time began. Getting fertile eggs were the main priority among all kinds.

Mother nature was calling the robin's body too, as she was in constant heat, experiencing something she never had.

The blackbird was more controlled, even though she could feel her instinct to mate.

Yesterday they were hunting on the field when an unknown blackbird landed next to them, trying to give food to the other blackbird.

However, the blackbird didn't want this stranger to mate her. Ready to decline the berry he had in his beak, the robin suddenly flew in front of the male screeching loudly for him to disappear.

Funnily enough the male stood there for a few moment watching this loud and orangish bird in fright then flew away keeping an eye on them in case the little bird was chasing him.

The blackbird gracefully cooed at the smaller bird, climbing carefully on top of her trying to mate.

Obviously, the blackbird was twice the robin's size, but she made sure she wasn't digging her nails into her back and making her hurt.

After the blackbird thought it was over, she quickly flew to the ground, pecking at it.

The robin was still standing there fluffing her feathers up. She finally experienced what mating was like...But she still felt something inside her. Her hormones were working, urging her to release whatever she was feeling.

Hopping toward the blackbird, she immediately knew what her instincts were telling her. The blackbird squatted down, so the robin could climb on top of her steadying her balance.

The small bird was trying to mate but still couldn't release anything and neither could the blackbird.

Finally getting down she was happy that they were having chicks soon.

She will have her own family.

                                                                                          ~*~

During April they tried to mate a few more times, but it still felt like something was missing. It made them happy though, expanding their nest a little bit more, ready to lay eggs.

In one week, the robin laid two eggs while the blackbird had three. At first it was strange for the small bird feeling the egg leaving her body, but she soon got used to it.

Now that they had five blueish eggs, they couldn't stop pecking at each other. It was the blackbird who usually stayed on the eggs as being the bigger one, covering all of them with her body.

The little robin became the food provider to their small family, bringing all the favorite nourishments her mate liked.

The blackbird will need to sit at least two weeks on the eggs non-stop, because there are predators who liked to snatch the eggs from different couples.

Little did they know that none of their eggs were fertile.

Hi there! Don't forget to vote or comment if you liked it! Thank you so much for reading! :)