Polis

After leading me out of my cell and out the door, I was faced with the most amazing sight that I've ever seen. The prison I was in was located at the end of a street that was filled with hundreds of people, along both sides of the street were dozens of stands selling what ever you could possibly want, armor, weapons, cloth, jewelry, food... just the sight of food made my mouth water. Even if I've never actually eaten anything like this before, food was food.

One stand had a fire pit next to it with some kind of meat cooking over it. I couldn't tear my eyes away, and it seemed Matthew noticed.

"Come James, let us eat. I doubt you have such food in the sky." He said with a smile, placing his hand on my shoulder and steering me towards the delicious looking meal. I noticed people were looking at Matthew with utter respect and awe. They would part out of his way without him even motioning for them to, some would even bow their heads when he walked by.

"Why do they look at you like that?" I asked, looking up at him with a questioning gaze.

He looked down at me with an aloof expression. "What ever do you mean?" He said, faking bewilderment, trying to get a rise out of me.

"Come on, I already know you are important, but what are you to these people?" I asked, annoyed that he was teasing me.

Looking at me proudly, he answered. "I am their Heda, their Commander. This is my city James,  and these are my people. You are in the city of Polis, this is where I live. That is why they look at me the way they do. I will explain all the details later, but for now we get you fed."

I wanted to know more but I couldn't really argue with free food, I was absolutely starving. I hadn't eaten since the day before I got sent to the ground.

Nodding my head in agreement, we stopped in front of a young woman with red hair and bright green eyes. "Heda" she said smiling and nodding her head to the commander in greeting.

"Good morning, Kieran. I would like two servings of venison please." Matthew said pleasantly while dropping a few coins into Kierans hand.

Kieran looked shocked, "Heda, I couldn't possibly take money from you." She said while trying to give the money back, but Matthew wasn't having it.

"Nonsense, you need to make a living and I am no thief." He said with a kind smile, refusing to take the money from the woman. She looked hesitant still but eventually handed us two servings of the venison on sticks. I couldn't wait to eat it, it smelt so good and my mouth was watering.

"You're supposed to put it in your mouth to be able to eat it James." Matthew said sarcastically, growing impatient. I didn't need anymore convincing and I took my first bite.

It was the most delicious thing I have ever tasted. It was very juicy and the flavor of the meat blended very well with whatever spices that the woman used to cook it. "This is amazing!" I told Kieran.

She raised her chin with pride at my words. "A companion of the Heda only deserves the best." She boasted, pleased with my words.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

After we finished our meal, Matthew lead me inside of the tower that was located in the center of the city. It must have been what I saw while I was falling. Apparently it was the most important building in all of the clans territories, and where all clans meet when he performs his Heda duties. He told me that as his second I will be with him at all times, except when he was sleeping of course.

He lead me to a room that was directly across the hall from his. "As my second, you deserve the best James. People will treat you with respect, but only as long as you show that you deserve it. You will grow to be a fine warrior and make me proud, I can feel it. But enough of that for now!" He exclaimed, turning towards the large double doors of my room, throwing open the double doors with a flourish.

I couldn't believe my eyes, the room was huge. Way bigger than my old room back on the Ark. It had a common area in the center and towards the back I could see an archway that lead towards a smaller room with a bed in it. The room opposite of my bedroom was what I assumed was the bathroom, but what really caught my eye was the balcony.

I couldn't help myself and I moved towards the balcony right away, looking out over the railing, the sight that I was met with was simply breath taking. The bright forest surrounding Polis and the people milling around below made you feel like a king.

It was still hard for me to accept that this man, without even knowing me, would give me all of this. Only Mr. Kane had ever been this nice to me before, and it made me overjoyed. Overjoyed that I was finally wanted.

Turning towards Matthew, who was walking towards me, I lunged at him and wrapped my arms around his stomach and cried. "Thank you so much Matthew." I sobbed into his stomach.

Matthew wrapped his arms around me and let me cry. "You're welcome James, you remind me a lot of myself you know... I want to give you the love and care that I had never received. I didn't really have a family either, but that is a story for another time I'm afraid." He said softly, his words only made me cry harder. Even Mr. Kane had never told me outright that he had cared about me. I would be the best warrior ever, I vowed to myself. I wanted to make Matthew proud... my Heda proud.

Letting go of me, I stepped back to look up at him. He had a soft smile on his face, and it made me smile in return.

"Tomorrow is going to be a big day James, tomorrow you will begin your training." He told me, scanning my face for any signs of nervousness.

"I will make you proud Heda, I will be the best warrior in the city. I promise!" I told him vehemently. I wouldn't break that promise, he has already given me so much and I wanted to make him proud of me.

My words made him smile, Matthew knew that I would do just what I said. He had complete and unwavering faith in me. "I know you will James. You will make me proud, and all of Polis proud, I can feel it." He said confidently.

"So what kind of training will I be doing tomorrow?" I asked sheepishly, embarrassed that I didn't even know what I was going to be trained in. I had no idea what a second even was for.

"Tomorrow, you will be training how to fight under my tutelage with the others." He explained, but I only got my more questions in return to his answer. Who are the others?

I looked at him utterly lost. "others?" I asked with my eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

"The Natblida..."

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Heda - Commander

Natblida - Nightblood