Ascension

I don't know how long I spent with my adoptive fathers body, could have been minutes, could have been hours... all i know is that the sun was about to set. Knowing that I had to return to Polis and bring the devastating news to the people that their beloved Heda was dead, I stood painfully.

Now that all of my adrenaline was gone as well as my rage, my body was beyond sore. The Pauna's strike was devastating, and I knew my chest would be bruised quite badly the next morning.

Even though it was painful and quite time consuming, I managed to carry Heda's heavy body back to where we left the horses. With a bundle of rope I grabbed from one of my horses side pouches, I connected the three other horses to my own.

After a painful amount of time, I situated Heda's body on the back of my horse, and I started my long ride back to Polis. With my heart still heavy with mourning, I couldn't stop my mind from drifting to the possibility that Lexa could be the next one to leave me. I had so much faith in Lexa, but there's always that small sliver of doubt eating away at you in the dark reaches of your mind. Like a parasite, feasting off of your life force to sustain their own.

Maybe it's simply that I've always been kind of a downer, I don't know honestly. Either way, if I were to lose her as well... I honestly don't know what I'd do after that. Could I be able to protect the next Heda after that? Knowing that they killed the one I loved? Just the thought of it made my stomach churn with anxiety and stress.

"Lexa would become Heda, she just had to."

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

That's the only thing that was on my mind the entire ride back to Polis. Upon arriving at the gates, I started to see spots and my mind became hazy. Maybe it was because of my constant anxiety and stress over the conclave, or maybe it was because I felt as if I was run over by a herd of horses. Either way, I knew I wasn't going to be conscious long.

The one thing keeping me awake at this point was knowing I needed to deliver Matthew's body back to Polis. The flame was still inside of him, and I knew it was perhaps the single most important artifact to the tribes. Titus would be devastated, but it wouldn't be the first time he has had to transfer the flame from one Heda to another.

When I was close enough to be identified, the guards near the city entrance rushed to my aide. At this point I was swaying on my horse and struggling to stay upright. Breathing was getting more difficult and the last thing I saw before finally blacking out were the guards' hands reaching out towards myself.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Upon waking up, I was greeted with the sight of Costia just finishing up a bandage wrap around my torso. Now that my armor and shirt were off, I could get a better view of the damage that the Pauna was responsible for. My entire torso, or atleast all that wasn't covered by the tight bandages, was entirely bruised. My skin was this dark purplish, blue, and yellow color. Honestly it looked like the Pauna's entire hand made contact with my chest. Now that I had awoken, I was immediately assaulted with the sudden pain that accompanied the bruising.

Hissing in pain, Costia was made aware of my consciousness. She quickly dropped the roll of bandage she was working on and wrapped me in a tight hug.

I was confused, Costia and I were not really close, granted that was because of my unwillingness to allow her to become close, but still...

I gasped out at the pain her unexpected hug had caused me. Realizing she was hurting me, Costia let go of myself and I got a look at her face. Her eyes were bloodshot and her eyelids were puffy while her face was somewhat flushed. Obviously she had been crying recently, and I know I couldn't have been the reason for this.