Moving Forward

Nine years, it's been nine long happy years here on the ground. I've officially spent the same amount of time on the ground as I had on the Ark. During that time I've come to a realization, I belong here. In the time that I've been free from the Ark I've realized that I didn't have a life before.

I was a prisoner simply for not having a family. The room that I had known all my life as home was merely a prison cell. I was sacrificed as an experiment for the council. The citizens of the Ark are not my people, my people are the citizens of Polis. Lexa, and Matthew are my family now and I love them as such. Matthew is the father I never had and Lexa is the most amazing friend that I could have ever asked for. Together they made me who I am, and who I am is a warrior. A faithful warrior to the Heda and the people of Polis.

Beating Lexa in a spar for the first time as children sparked something within me. That day forward I was more motivated and dedicated than ever before. I have never lost a battle since that day and I do not plan to anytime soon. I am now eighteen years old, I have made a name for myself. People from all over know my name, to Lexa and Matthew I am known as James. To the clans, I am known as The shield gon hedas.

Two years ago, a couple of assassin were sent to kill The Heda. If it wasn't for me, Matthew would have died that day.

Heda and I were walking through the city as we do every few days. It's good for the citizens to see their leader. It builds stability and gives people hope of a better future to know that their Heda cares for them. We just passed an alleyway when I felt the hairs on my neck stand on end. Spending every waking moment to better myself as a Gona, has forged me from the weak boy that fell from the sky; into a battle hardened man. A man, who sensed that danger was imminent. I quickly ducked, an arrow flew through the space my head recently occupied. I could feel the air displace as the arrow skimmed past my hair.

Looking up, I see a hooded figure dropping their bow and sprinting at me with a short sword in hand. Clenching my spear in my hand, I can feel the blood rushing to my ears and my heart pumping with the eagerness for a fight. I've grown to love the feeling of it. The feeling of not knowing if the next battle will be your last, if the next foe will be the one to end your life; It was exciting.

Meeting the hooded figure head on, I quickly drop to one knee and duck under their swing. Seeing the opening that they so graciously gave me, I thrust my spear through their stomach. Hearing their sword hit the dirt behind me and the warm feeling of their blood on my hand, I knew the fight was over.

"Yu gonplei ste odon." I whispered into their ear, swiftly removing my spear from them and letting their body collapse.

As soon as the body hit the ground I hear a pain filled roar behind me. I turn around just in time to see Matthew fall to the ground with a dagger in his leg and another hooded figure standing over him. The figure raised a sword and was about to plunge it into Matthew's heart. I acted without thought and that is what saved his life. My spear split the air... aswell as the flesh of the assassin. For my aim was true, and my Heda was saved.

I already had a reputation as an unstoppable warrior. Years of being undefeated with my trusty spear will do that. The clans hold tournaments, tournaments to boast of who has the strongest warriors... I've won six of them, but that doesn't mean I am invincible. My body holds many scars of my various brushes with death. My chest, back, arms, and legs have all been the canvas of various blades. Spiderweb like scars criss cross over my skin. I wear them like trophies though, to show I am but a human like the rest, and I use them as motivation. Motivation to grow stronger, so I don't make the same mistakes that had caused me to receive these scars in the first place. The most painful, yet the one which brings me the most pride nearly cost me my life.