Hunted

Waking up the next morning, I quickly bathed and dressed for the day. I took my time bathing because it would be a few days until I returned back to my glorious bathtub. Today Heda and I would be leaving for a few days to hunt Pauna. It was a very dangerous expedition but Heda insisted on it. He said "A true hunter must prove himself by taking down the best." And there was no better hunter compared to the Pauna.

The Pauna was nearly a legend at this point, it had killed hundreds of warriors and hunters over the years, and anyone else foolish enough to get near its hunting grounds. Yet, here we are, getting ready to set out with a group of four. Shaking my head at the thought, I grabbed my spear and stepped out of my room, marching across the hall I knock on Heda's door.

Hearing shuffling and giggling inside, I assumed that Heda probably had company for the night. When the doors opened, my assumptions were proven correct. Stepping out of the room was a scantily clad pleasure girl, who looked to be only a few years older than myself. Watching her walk away down the hall I shake my head in disgust.

Matthew always spent the night in company of a pleasure girl before a hunt, sometimes multiple. He'd say "You never know if this will be our last, so live it like it will be our last." He has a point, but I could never find the appeal in sleeping with some random woman. I personally felt that you should only sleep with someone who you had genuine feelings for.

Taken out of my thoughts by the door to Heda's room opening once more, I see Heda dressed in his full battle regalia.

"James! Are you ready to finally witness your old man kill this thing once and for all my boy?" Heda asked excitedly, clapping me hard on the shoulder. Now that I stand equal to him in height as well as having put on quite a bit of muscle over the years, his shoulder claps don't nearly take me out anymore.

"Of course father." I say with faux enthusiasm. Every time we go out and hunt for the Pauna we never find it. We've even stayed at his hunting grounds for a few nights and it never showed its face. Heda believes it's because it can feel its demise, personally though I think we've just been lucky.

Laughing at my words, we discussed battle tactics and politics while we made our way to the ground floor. Apparently Azgeda has been becoming reckless and in some cases hostile towards our warriors.

It's never been Azgeda themselves that I've had problems with, but the queen. Queen Nia has wanted the position of commander, apparently since before I was even born. The only problem with that, is that she isn't Natblida. That doesn't stop her from causing a ruckus though. I guarantee that if she thought that the clans would follow her, even if she wasn't Natblida, she would take her armies and march upon Polis without hesitation. Her only son, Prince Roan had been exiled recently. I'm not sure what for, I am just aware of his exile do to listening to reports brought by Heda's spies.

It's honestly pretty amazing what you can learn simply by standing guard. No one expects the silent, deadly, guard playing statue at Hedas side to be listening, but he does.

Coming to a stop infront of the guards that are to be extra protection for Heda on our journey, I see that they are rather new. Probably only one to two kills to their name each. Sighing in annoyance, I order them to go and secure us our horses for this expedition.

"Emo laik pathetic, Heda." I utter in annoyance. Heda merely chuckles at my words.

"Emo laik just gon show anyway, yu laik hogeda the protection ai need" Heda says, giving me a meaningful look.

His words make me smile under my bone mask. Before I could insult the new guards further, they returned with four horses in tow. Nodding my head in thanks to them, we hop on our respective mounts and we ride out of the city.