12-sweater

It was a rainy day in Chicago.

A cold front had swept in and taken the warmth and sun of spring away for a few days, bringing about rain and clouds. Eden found comfort in them, though.

Would you like to come over tonight?

That's what Cecilia had texted the girl sharp and early the day after she had just seen her. It was around 6 o'clock in the morning, right when Eden had been rolling out of bed to get ready for work.

I'm surprised you asked instead of demanding. Eden smirked as she sent the text, also sending a sarcastic, I suppose, if you want to see me that bad, right afterward. Her lips spread into a deep smile as she stood from her bed in her black Rolling Stones pajama shirt, her calves flexing as she leaned up on her tip toes and stretched the morning aches out of her body. She had work all day, unfortunately, but it somehow felt like she could manage the day easier now that she knew she would get to see that intoxicating brunette after work.

Her bare feet tapped against the cold wooden floor as she poked a hand through the division of the curtains that sectioned off her bedroom, peering into the living room where she saw Gen sprawled out on her couch, the empty box of pizza whose contents she had devoured sitting open on the coffee table. She had also left the TV on, so Eden shook her head and walked over to the small TV, flicking it off and picking up the pizza box to throw it away.

"When I told you you could stay here, I didn't know I was signing up to be a mother," Eden whispered to herself as she picked up a blanket from the ground and threw it over her friend, making sure she was covered up before gently slapping her cheek and walking back into her bedroom to get ready for work.

Of course, Eden had forgotten to bring an umbrella on her way to Cecilia's house. It hadn't been raining on her walk to the bus stop down the street from her apartment, but by the time the bus got to the other side of town and came to a screeching halt at the bus stop in her upper-income neighborhood, the clouds had darkened and the rain was pummeling the earth.

Shielding her eyes from the rain that threatened to blind her, she hopped off the bus and splashed through a couple puddles on the road until she was on the sidewalk, briskly walking down the block. Of course, Cecilia's house was at the very end. Her raggedy black Vans sloshed in the water that had accumulated already on the sidewalk, and she could even feel the rain begin to seep through her shirt.

By the time she made it up Cecilia's disastrously long driveway and front steps where she finally had cover beneath the roof that jutted over the front door, she was soaking with rainwater. Ringing the doorbell, she wrapped her arms around herself as her teeth chattered.

Cecilia answered the door rather quickly, shock filling her eyes when she swung the door open and saw an Eden who looked like a drowned sewer rat. "Jesus fuck, come in." She stepped aside and took the girl's wet arm, guiding her inside and closing the door as the wind began to pick up outside.

Eden could hear rainwater dripping from her figure and hitting the nice wooden floor, and she looked up at Cecilia apologetically. "Sorry," she winced, "I didn't know it was gonna come down like that."

Turning towards the girl, Cecilia laughed and looked up and down her pathetic figure. "No, don't apologize," she smoothly spoke. "It wasn't supposed to rain at this time." The woman, whose hair was straightened and lying messily over her shoulders, wore black leggings that accentuated her long, sculpted legs and a black t-shirt, the most casual outfit Eden had ever seen her wear. "Come on, we need to get you out of those clothes before you get sick."