Four

Y/N watched from afar at the cadets who had their faces drenched with sweat and dismay. Their body's were begging them for mercy, longing for a break. Zoey's lips pursed, her mind adrift from reality. The core of her thoughts being examined almost carefully it seemed.

"Smith?" Y/N's voice could cut glass. "Are you awaiting permission to be dismissed?"

Her eyes shot over to her captain's. "Sorry, I was troubled in my thoughts. I guess." Zoey scratched the back of her head sheepishly.

"Care to to go into depth with me?" The Captain stated as a command rather than an offer of support. "Surely you won't be preoccupied with your pondering ideas on expeditions." She warned lowly.

Zoey perked her head up, straightening her back into a salute. "Never. Never would I be so selfish to think of my desires on the field." She stated with strong conviction.

"Desires?" Y/N's lips remained in a thin line. "I rather you heed your so called desires off missions anyways, so I'm glad we can touch the subject here yeah?" Her hand gestures her to open her internal doors. "How about as a friend, I listen to you so you don't wallow in these aspirations, yes?"

The 14 year old Zoey Smith, the girl who's innocence— adolescence seeds that had been dug out, and tossed aside for war. Her eyes were full of emptiness, as if her fate had already been destined.

"I want to be on your squad." Her hair covered her face as she saluted. Strands were stuck to her skin like glue from the humidity. "My life cannot, and will not be meaningless. I want to die alongside you, F/N L/N. My mind is devoted to my father's ambitions, but my heart feels drawn like magnet to fight underneath your order. I trust everything your intuition believes in."

Y/N was appalled. Of course, she was already considering the girl to be recruited, especially when her father himself had been pleased with the idea. However, this meant whatever happens to the young girl will be tattooed on her conscience.

Without a word, Y/N formed a salute towards Zoey who was taken aback by the action. All the other cadets had noticed this as well, a few gasps could be heard. A captain was saluting a cadet. A rare site for anyone to see.

"I would be honored to have you fight with me, Zoey Smith." Y/N said with uttermost respect. "As my second hand in command."

Zoey's salute ended, mentally bumped into surprise and delight. Her eyes gleamed and realized her salute had slacked. Fixing herself, she gave her most honorable salute she's ever given to anyone. "My trust in you is quite vivid, I'm glad the trust can be returned, captain."

There they both stood, saluting each other for a few more moments before standing upright again. Y/N's hand slapped onto young comrade's shoulder pleased.

"Good to have you as my first recruit, Smith." She smiled warmly, the gesture being returned. "The honor being mine is obvious, however you still need to get your ass back over there and train with your fellow comrades."

With a brief nod, she turned around towards the cadets who had drifted their attention back towards their duties.

"My daughter will be a great addition to your team, Y/N." A deep intimidating voice said.

Turning around quickly, Y/N saluted respectfully but Erwin Smith had dismissed it with ease.

"I know she will, Commander." She peaked back towards her new recruit who had already begun hand to hand combat with Victoria. D/N watched patiently from the sidelines, his tongue hanging out with slobber dripping onto the soil.

"The pride I feel is immaculate, but the fear in me claws on the floorboards begging to be expressed." His thick eyebrows narrowed slightly. "My fright for her safety itches to forbid her to serve. But I cannot disrespect her privilege." His arms hung behind his back as he examined his troops. "I have a lot of trust in you here L/N, you're well aware of that though of course."