Derecho

I am a simple man... a simple man who insists on giving unprompted angst over characters that no one pays attention to. aka, I live in Iowa and boy howdy am I gonna write some vent stuff about one traumatic event (of many) that happened in 2020. It's talked about, kinda, in WNR 8/18 pt.1 but basically Iowa (and several other midwest states) were hit by what people are calling a land hurricane. To put it in some perspective, we lost a quarter of our tree coverage.

This may or may not have Kanowa Vibes. You're welcome.

TW: Storm/Tornadoes, Panic Attack, Descriptions of Pain, Abandonment Issues

~~

Iowa had know there was a storm coming. Nebraska had gotten hit first, after all, but surely it wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. Sure it was a bit late in the season for tornadoes, but he's dealt with plenty of those. A few bruises, some aches and pains, and some mild exhaustion, then everything goes back to normal after some clean up.

Oh how he was wrong.

It started the same as any other storm. A feeling a dread, and a slight pressure in his chest. Then the wind hit him.

The feeling in his chest became a burning as it became harder and harder to breathe. He was doubled over as he tried to make it his door, tried to get help, but he collapsed. The normal dull ache was replaced with sharp pain throughout him. Something was Wrong, but he couldn't move, he could hardly think.

How long was he there? How long was he on the floor of his room, clutching his chest as he tried to breathe. Between gasps for air he was sobbing. No one would come for him, he knew this. They never did. The other Midwest states would be too busy taking care of Nebraska, or Illinois, no one would bother to check on him. His brother's were more important than him.  Forgotten little Iowa.

Then, as suddenly as it began, it all seemed to die down and he could feel hands on him. He thrashed against them slightly and tried to open his eyes. Who would-? But the hands stayed gentle, as if trying to soothe him. They slid gently through his hair; did the other have his head in their lap? When did that happen? Why? Over the rushing in his ears, he could vaguely hear someone talking.

There were two light taps to his chest, a reminder to breathe. His lungs still burned, and it felt like there was something lodged in his throat, but he tried his best. With each breath Iowa managed it seemed to get easier, and he, ever so slightly, began to relax. Though he still let out the occasional sob.

As the rushing in his ears slowly began to calm, he could hear what was being said. "--'ve got you. You're gonna be okay, Iowa. Just breathe, it'll be over soon. It's just a storm, it can't last forever." and on they continued. Iowa knew that voice.

He let out a small whine as he finally managed to force his eyes open and look up at the other state. Black spots hovered in his vision (was it from pain or just how many had lost power in his state?) but he managed to gaze up at Kansas. "Wha--" Iowa tried to speak but his voice was too hoarse. Once again he wondered just how long he had been out of it.

Kansas gave him a small smile. "There you are. Take it easy, that was quite the storm you just got hit with." He ran his fingers through Iowa's hair one more time before stopping completely (why did Iowa mourn the loss of the contact). "How about we try getting you sat up?"

Despite the pain he was still feeling and the spots in his vision, Iowa nodded. Slowly, Kansas helped him sit up and leaned against his bed frame. Once he was settled Kansas handed him a bottle of water, helping him hold it steady when his hands shook to bad to manage it himself.

"How bad?" Iowa's voice was still rough and he's sure he looked utterly horrible.

Kansas grimaced and sighed. "I don't know much about the damage, but you were out of it for several hours... How are you feeling?"

Now it was Iowa's turn to grimace. "Horrible." It's then he realizes he's shivering. It was just suppose to be simple storm, what had even happened? Kansas notices the shivering and yanks a blanket off the bed, placing it around the other state. He makes a move to get up and Iowa whines. He doesn't want to be alone. What if no one remembered to check on him? Honestly it was probably a miracle Kansas was even there to begin with. "Stay. Please."

Kansas reaches out clasp him on the shoulder. "I'll be back, I'm just gonna grab you some pain meds. From the looks of it, you need them, right?" Iowa had to fight back tears, but Kansas was right. He needed something to take the edge off. Kansas looked Iowa in the eye. "I promise. I'm coming back. I'll get some medicine for you and then we'll get you off the floor. Okay?"

Iowa sniffles, but nods. Kansas stands and makes his way out the room. Iowa takes a shaky breath. He'd be fine. Kansas was coming back. But there was still that voice in the back of his head, saying he wouldn't. And even if Kansas did come back, there was no way he'd actually stay with him. He'd give Iowa the meds, get him into bed, and go on his way. He probably had plenty else that needed done, he didn't need to be babysitting another state.

Part of him is actually surprised when Kansas actually comes back. And he is entirely shocked when he sees what the other has. Along with the ibuprofen he also is carrying a laptop.

Kansas shoots him a smile at the look on his face. "I thought we could watch something together while you rest. Is that alright?" A fuzzy feeling blooms in his chest. Someone wanted to spend time with him. Kansas wanted to spend time with him. Sure it was probably only out of pity because of the storm but still. Outside his brothers, people rarely wanted to spend time with him.

Slowly Iowa nods at Kansas. It may be a one time thing, but he'd take it. Kansas' smile widens and he sets the laptop down before opening the pill bottle. He hands the pills to Iowa before giving him the water once more. Once Iowa has taken them, Kansas helps Iowa stand and get into the bed before grabbing the laptop once more and settling in beside him.

It takes a lot of effort on Iowa's part to not immediately cuddle up the other state. That would make things weird and then Kansas might actually leave him on his own. Kansas opens his laptop and looks at the state next to him. "Anything in particular you want to watch?"

He thinks for a moment, then shrugs. "I mean... Can't go wrong with Disney... Maybe lion king?"

Kansas hums and starts to load Disney+. "Sounds good to me." Once it's loaded he quickly chooses the movie.

It doesn't take long for Iowa to start dozing. His head starts drooping, despite his valiant efforts to stay awake. Kansas notices this and puts his arm around Iowa's shoulders, pulling him into his side. "Rest, Iowa. I'll be here when you wake up." It takes a moment for Iowa to relax, but once he does he finds himself snuggling into Kansas.

Sleep quickly begins to overtake Iowa. And once he's almost there, he feels Kansas place a gentle kiss to the top of his head. A gentle smile formed on his face as he let himself succumb to his exhaustion. All he could hope for was for Kansas to not go back to treating him like he did before. And with that he's out like a light.