Chapter 3

(Disappointments and happiness)

           Yesterday's dinner succeeded in disappointing my mom's expectations, in other words - it was horrible. At first everything was slow and steady until mom brought up the subject of her job. Kai got mad, bickering between dad and him started and suddenly I found myself locked in my own room from all of the noise. Well atleast the food wasn't disappointing, it was quite nice. Today though, was a nice Saturday, again it was raining like crazy, when my mom woke me up from the sweetest dream I had in a while. The morning started with my mom complaining about my room, about my appearance and about everything really. The more she stood in my room the angrier I got.

I got up from my bed. "Please leave" I said in an agitated voice.

"What?" She stopped cleaning my floor and looked at me with a horrible silence following. "Leave? Who are you to say this to me?! I'm you mother, show some respect"

Mom began screaming at me that it's her house and if I don't like her that much I can always go away. I've heard those exact sentences coming out of her mouth a hundred times before but they never failed to shut me up. Mom saw her victory against me and only then she walked out.

Just soon after I was finished with getting up and cleaning my room, my dad came into my room to say that they were leaving. "Leaving?" I asked, dad just rubbed his eyes and replied:

"Mom got a call"

"Well good luck' I rolled my eyes and continued cleaning.

"You have to understand that we don't want to do this either. I don't Kaya" Dad's face expressed sadness. I felt bad when he left the room, so I went downstairs to say goodbye to both of them.

When they left - the house was filled with silence and Kai was nowhere to be seen. That meant only one thing - I got this house only for myself. I quickly called Autumn to announce it and very soon she was in front of my house along with Grey who was carrying two full bags of what looked like food, snacks mostly.

Autumn greeted me by jumping to hug me and Grey nodded his head.

"I've been waiting for us to hang out again" Autumn shrieked with a voice full of excitement. Grey just adored everything that was on her face from afar and stayed silent without saying "Hi".

When Grey and Autumn visit we always cook something together, mostly me and Autumn. And after we make my kitchen dirty we go and have a movie marathon. Our movie marathons were always awesome, since we could watch all kinds of old chick flick movies about love. Grey never really seemed to mind them, so it was even better, however he would always make fun of everyone and everything.

"I will cook" Grey raised his hands and rolled up his sleeves.

"Wait, that's a great joke" I laughed to myself. Just when I realized that I was the only one laughing I looked at him in disbelief: "You will cook?"

Grey never cooked for anyone except Autumn and she said that everything he makes is magnificent.

"I had to convince him real hard, better thank me, beautiful" Autumn winked and Grey only rolled his eyes.

"I still can't believe that" I waved my hand around myself. "So what will you make today, Grey?" I said with a hint of sarcasm behind my question.

Grey ignored my question and instead of answering he asked me a bunch of other questions related to kitchen stuff. Little by little and I was completely sure that Grey was serious all along.

"Both of you go pick out a movie and prepare snacks, I'll start cooking." He demanded.

Grey was always something confusing to me, when Autumn introduced us he was rather cold and didn't even try to be friendly with me. Even after a few months of knowing him, Grey still is the same Grey...

"Do you know anything about the food he will make?" I whispered to Autumn when we walked out of the kitchen.

"I don't know half the stuff he makes, but it's always and I mean always good" Autumn answered and we sat on the sofa.

It took us about 15 minutes to pick out a few movies and prepare the snacks. The first movie that we decided to watch was - "27 dresses" and the other ones were some series of a fantasy trilogy. After deciding upon the movies we decided to check up on Grey. The smell coming from the kitchen reached us long ago and it was making our mouths water. Meanwhile we were staring at food, Grey was focusing on stirring some sauce. I could already guess what he was making.

Just when I was about to compliment Grey, Autumn suddenly went behind Grey and hugged him. "Do you need help?" She asked and he stopped completely, he was flustered. Grey quickly collected himself and turned around to push Autumn softly out of his way.

"Jezus don't do that" He spoke and then returned to cooking. It wasn't very surprising to me how Autumn acted because she loved to tease him. The thing that always never failed to surprise me was how Grey let anything slide when it came to Autumn, he had a soft spot for her. An extremely soft soft.

"The food will be ready in a few minutes" He gave us a rare warm smile and then told us to leave him alone coldly.

And indeed in a few minutes we all were sitting in my living room and enjoying our food while watching "27 dresses". Grey made rather basic looking spaghetti with some sauce but the taste was nowhere near basic, it was the best pasta I've ever eaten.

I kept looking at both of them, they seemed so happy. I felt like this would be a slowed down scene in a movie about friendship... In these kinds of moments, I believed I'm truly happy.

...

After we finished the third movie, Autumn got a call and both Grey and her had to leave. I was left alone when I got a message.

Unknown: Wanna go out?

I got scared for a second, but I decided to brush the anxiety off and text the stranger back.

Me: Who's this?

Unknown: Well guess ;)

Me: Idk, a serial killer?

Unknown: ding ding ding. That's right, Kaya.

Now I would've been scared but I already knew who it was.

Me: Jean, how did you get my number?

Unknown (Jean) : Your friend gave it to me.

I was staring at my phone while wondering who that friend might've been, when my screen started flashing and it said "Incoming call from Jean"

"What do you want?" I asked, laughing into the microphone.

"Go out with me!" Jean replied, laughing as well.

"Why should I?" I teased him. "I don't know you at all.

"That is the exact reason why." I could already imagine him smirking into the telephone.

"That's dumb"

"Please Kaya, you have to show me around the city, I'm new here remember?" Jean tried to talk me into it.

"You're not mad about yesterday?" I asked silently, remembering how we parted yesterday..

"I really want to make it up to you" He breathed in. "I promise to buy you ice cream - let's just wander around the city"

"Alright alright" I rolled my eyes smiling.

"Are you for real?!" I heard him gasp in disbelief. "Great, then I'll just meet you where I left you yesterday"

"Why there?" I was confused.

"Well I don't know any other places in this town."

"Okay, okay. You better hurry before I change my mind" I couldn't believe I was smiling so hard.

"Okay, it's a date then" He quickly said.

"It's not" I said, faster than I intended to.

"I'm just messing with you" He laughed softly into the microphone.

"Casanova, go get ready, I'll be waiting" I hung up and dashed to my room.

Shit, how did I end up agreeing to it?