Chapter 8

"Want me to drive you two to school?" Jay asked on a Monday morning.

"Would appreciate that," Kai answered without lifting his eyes from the plate.

"Thanks" I smiled at Jay.

Once we got to school I felt exhaustion start kicking in. I couldn't fall asleep after last night's walk with Jean. My head was occupied by repeating the same exact memory. My lips didn't feel the same, I didn't feel the same. Who knew one action could cause such overanalysis in my head?

The first class had to be math, which meant sitting beside Jean for 45 minutes. With these thoughts I climbed up the school stairs and then continued walking through the hall, feeling like a ghost - pale and invisible. I didn't notice when I was already sitting in the back of the classroom, waiting for anyone. The first person to show up after me was Mia, she only looked at me and rolled her eyes sitting down. Such nice behaviour, I couldn't say I was surprised by it. She's always been like this, the only difference - I wasn't by her side now.

"Yo" Grey waved at me from afar with Autumn in front of him. He always followed the rule "Girls first", which I found amusing since he didn't treat any women with kindness, except for Autumn.

"Why do you look so anxious?" Autumn asked after a few seconds of seeing me.

I hesitated for a brief minute and then lied that I was anxious due to the upcoming test. The real reason I was breaking in a cold sweat was because of my first kiss yesterday. Yes, I did count it as a kiss. It probably didn't mean anything to Jean but it did to me. The kiss somehow broke the final barrier that I had put between me and him, it shattered into a thousand pieces that I didn't want to pick up and glue back. For the first time in my life, I felt connected in a way I couldn't understand. Never once have I felt it with a friend or something more. I was never my true self with friends or family, Jean was the first boy to start all of this mess inside of my head. I wanted to hate it.

Time passed by quickly, and our class was filled with students, the only one missing was Jean. Just when I thought that he might not come today, he showed up late and breathless. He excused himself and sat beside me, slowly trying to catch his breath. While he did all that, I froze in my seat and memories flashed in my head. t

I turned right and caught a glimpse of him smiling, his rosy lips made me remember the gentle sensation of the kiss. Slowly I felt my face flush with red color, it was burning and my heart wanted to jump out of my chest. I tried relaxing by slowly breathing, but it didn't do much. Throughout the whole 45 minutes, Jean made 3 small talks, 2 observations about my appearance and one compliment:

"I like your writing"

"My writing?" I raised my eyebrows in question.

"It's neat, I write like a third-grader" He giggled.

He was right, Jean's writing was horrible, I nervously giggled and focused my attention on the teacher talking.

After math ended we didn't meet each other in classes or the halls until someone bumped into me and quite literally blew me away. It was Tobio, Jean's friend.

"I'm sorry, are you alright?" He held out his hand for me.

I stood up and assured him that all was well with me. The poor guy insisted on walking me to the nurse's office where a nasty surprise awaited. The nurse's office was on the same floor where the reception was. We had to wait for a few minutes due to it being occupied by someone.

"Won't we be late to class?" I asked Tobio.

"Gosh I do hope so" He smiled, crossing arms around his chest.

Once the bell rang we looked at each other and smiled even wider. The door opened a few minutes after that, and the two people that came out sent shivers down my spine. The first person to walk out was Mia, she was holding someone's hand, smiling with an ice pack on her forehead. I hope karma got her good, dear God make it a bruise - I silently prayed in my head.