|18|

☆what could have been a picnic

Shuichi's POV

Once we had our new task assigned to us by Kaito, Kokichi and I went towards the warehouse to find a blanket and basket. At this time the warehouse would probably be taken up by Miu but she was no where to be seen. I had heard from Gonta that she went running off somewhere after Tsumugi wouldn't leave her alone about cosplaying.

The warehouse was huge so we had to walk around for a while before we could find what we needed. Kokichi and I walked through the isles of gadgets and other trinkets while holding hands. Eventually we finally noticed the red and plaid blanket that we had been looking for.

It was on the highest shelf, folded neatly collecting dust. Not even any of the ladders could reach it witch was a huge surprise. As I tried to figure out how to extend the ladder to the length we needed I noticed a glob of super glue exactly where the button to extend it would be.

"Maybe Miu was walking around with glue hands and touched the ladder?" Kokichi questioned.

"Why would it be exactly where the ladder extended though?"

"I dunno, maybe she was trying to reach something and didn't realize she got glue on it, I mean the ladder is extended half way so she could have needed something on a lower shelf and forgot to put it back."

"I guess that would make sense, I'm probably just over thinking it.."

I set the ladder back up to see how much it extended. It was only a few more shelfs  below the top.

"If you want I could climb the remainder shelfs? It wouldn't be hard."

"W-wait but that could be dangerous! You could slip or-"

"Don't worry about it Shumai! I used to do a bunch of climbing with Dice, I'm practically and expert!"

Before I could protest anymore Kokichi was already half way up the ladder. He eagerly climbed fast not missing any steps. When he came to the end of the ladder he held onto the support beams and placed his feet on the shelfs. He continued to climb higher and higher. I covered my eyes trying to keep myself calm. My heart started beating faster as I heard an ear-splitting scream come from Kokichi.

Kokichi's POV

I had reached the top of the shelf with no injuries. I reached out to grab the blanket and I lifted it up. The first thing I saw was a fresh pile of blood and then Himiko's decapitated head. Her eyes rolled back into her skull and her skin was bruised and beaten up. Her nose was broken and patches of her hair were missing.

I let out a genuine scream as I stumbled back and let go of the shelf. I felt myself fall back onto the ladder as I frantically reached for something to hold onto. I got a grip on the steps but my hands continued to slip and struggle.

"S-SHUICHI! HELP ME WILL YOU!"

My hand continued to find something to hold onto as I reached out and held the side rails. I stopped falling for the right amount of time for me to stabilize myself on the steps. I looked behind me and saw Shuichi who had climbed the ladder, trying to help me.

"Kokichi! Why'd you scream!? What happened!? Are you ok!?" Shuichi desperately asked.

He seemed so startled. He shakily held onto my arms as he tried to collect himself. He looked like he was about to cry.

"I-I told you to be careful! You could have died!"

He carefully led me down the ladder, making sure I don't trip. All I could think of was that gruesome memory of Himiko's beat up head. The mear memory of her was enough to make me vomit. I gagged at the thought as I covered my mouth.

"Could her death have been prevented..?"

Shuichi finally got us off the ladder and I collapsed with my hands still over my mouth. He leaned down besides me trying to calm me down even though he had no Idea if what was happening.

I then managed to choke out "H-himiko's..dead."

Shuichi's eyes widened. "What do you mean shes dead..."

"Her head was cut off and thrown on the top shelf..that's why the ladder was glued, to delay the discovery.."

Shuichi's face grew pale. He looked back up at the ladder and started climbing it just like I did. His movements were careful and slow like he was trying to stop himself from looking. He grabbed a large, metal skewer off one of the shelfs and continued up. When he finally made it up to the top shelf he pulled back the blanket and used the skewer to push her head off the shelf and onto a pile of fabric that was lined up on the floor so evidence wasn't damaged.

Shuichi walked down the ladder again with a disturbed look on his face. He walked towards the remains to inspect it once more. I looked away and covered my ears trying to think of what to do.

"Uh..Shuichi? Would you like me to go find another person? We need three people to set off the body discover-"

Just then Tenko burst through the door and ran straight past us.

"H-HIMIKO! NOO!

Tenko froze right as she noticed Himiko's chopped off head. She let out a horrid cry as she rushed to her lovers remains. Her screams and crys rung throughout the warehouse. They drowned out the body discovery alarm and the footsteps of others entering the warehouse. She sobbed as she held Himiko's head, trying to find that glimpse of happiness the small girls eyes once held. She wept while everyone watched. She could care less. No one mourned with her, they just stood in horror.

Shuichi came back over to me a pulled me away towards where the other students stared. He held me as we watched Tenko breakdown and come to the realization that she had no one anymore. His arms tightened around me as Gonta and Kaito went up to try comforting her.

"NOO! GET AWAY! DON'T TOUCH ME!" She pleaded.

"T-tenko, Gonta just want to help!"

"N-NO! DON'T COME NEAR ME!"

It was terrifying seeing her so helpless looking. She was always so bubbly and optimistic. Who knew what would happen to her now.

"Tenko, I don't mean to be insensitive but please put...uh..Himikos head down. You're tampering with the evidence."

She continued to cry and scream at Gonta and Kaito. Maki eventually managed to pull her away and then walked her out of the warehouse.

"Puhuhu! What a gruesome murder! Welp, you guys should get to it! Heres the Monkuma file, Now don't waist your time!" And he was off again..

Shuichi was handed the file like always so we started investigating.

•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•☆•

•Total word count : 1169•