I

Warnings: child death, miscarriage, death, war, bombings, just a rather dark chapter

The beginning, right. Her therapist started with asking simple questions. Such as: when were you born, where were you born and can you maybe describe your early childhood?

Lucille was born in the winter of 1925 in France. She didn't bother telling Miss Johnson where exactly she was born because her city is still in ruins. Her village was now nothing but woods and some walls that has been used as a graffiti canvas. But as she saw the woman's very stern gaze, she did tell her.

"And how do you feel about that?" How did she feel about her home being completely destroyed by Hydra and Nazi's? Not very pleasant, that's for sure. The only thing she had left were her memories of her home. And that wasn't a lot, she still didn't remember everything. Just a few vague memories.

She said so and Miss Johnson said: "Well, even if you don't remember much, you still feel something about it, no?"

Lucille did. Most of it was anger. She knew a lot of people died during the bombing. A lot of children too...her siblings being among those children.

"You said that you don't remember much, what do you remember?" She could still see all of her siblings' faces when she stared in the mirror. It made her feel horrible. The fact that she had survived and they hadn't. She had escaped without taking any of her siblings with her. She had only brought herself to safety. Miss Johnson said that she shouldn't feel guilty about it. Saving herself was an instinct, at a time of a bombing, especially as a child you don't think of any other thing except to escape.

The woman asked what else Lucille remembered.

A lot of death. The village she came from was very poor, so they didn't have access to medicine or good food. She remembered that her mother was pregnant, and then not having another sibling. She remembered a little brother who didn't make it past two.

She thought of Lucien. Her older brother who got sick at the age of 13. One night she was taking care of him and the other night he wasn't in his bed anymore. Il n'est plus avec nous, Luci. She didn't know what that meant at that time.

She spared a few thoughts on her work. She was a cleaner in a nearby town. Where the families who had it better lived. She didn't remember exactly at what age she started working but it must've been very young. She washed linen and clothes, cleaned floors, kitchens, bedrooms, etc. But eventually war took a toll even on the rich families. And they didn't ask them to return the next day, then not the next week and then they said to never return again.

Lucille's family could barely pay for food. When her father got ill that winter, he never recovered. They couldn't afford to give him extra food or medicine. Il n'est plus avec nous, Lucille.

It was hard to think of the war. About how her brothers were drafted to go to war for a few months. One brother didn't return and those who did were very wounded.

They started off as a very big family, but when Lucille thought back of the family members that had remained just before the bombings, not a lot of them were even there. Because they were already dead.

Miss Johnson let her talk about all the bad things but eventually she asked: "Do you remember anything happy?"

Lucille had to think really hard about it. She took multiple minutes to answer the question.

But then she thought of Lucien again. About how he surprised her on her birthday with two bright red apples, stolen from one of the rich families' gardens.

She thought of Josephine who breaded her hair every morning so that she could look presentable at her work.

She thought of sharing her room with four of her siblings who woke her up every morning. She never minded it, she woke up with a smile.

Much more than that, she couldn't think of.

When Lucille looked at the clock, she saw that three hours had past. Miss Johnson saw it too and said that she could leave. They would have another session before she would go to bed.

This session had left her rather tired and hungry. So Lucille headed toward the kitchen.

Hello! I have a question for you: is there anything you would want me to write? Such as, something about Lucille's past, or a prompt, just anything really!!