Chapter Ten: And I've Got a Date!

Mia's POV

I've wished a lot of things and I've learned a lot of things.

I wished that my parents loved me. I've learned that it's hard to love something when you cannot see past yourself.

I wished I was brought up different. I've learned you can't change the past.

I wished my Grandfather had fought for me. I've learned there must be a reason for everything.

I wished my Grandfather hadn't gotten so sick. I've learned mortality is a human flaw.

I wished the Newsies had a better lifestyle. I've learned that it's best to make good of the hand you were dealt.

I wished Jack had just remembered me. I wished that he would love me.

But now I've learnt that nothing is permanent and everything is only temporary.

I've learnt the only person you can really trust is yourself, and in learning this I've decided to make do with what I've been given and to stop focusing on myself and my demise. But, rather to focus on my Grandfather and the boys he wards.

"Romeo! Oh Romeo!" I called up the stairs in giddy excitement. In the chaos of the lodging house I hear Romeo shout "Methinks the lady is calling", which made me chuckle.

What a charmer.

"Whadda ya need me foh, Mama Mia?" Romeo asked me directly, as he slid down the banister of the staircase.

"Well, first I need you to not do that again! We don't need mousey and tiny getting any ideas." I said, gesturing to his entrance, "Secondly, I have a date."

At this point, everything in the lodging house stopped and became silent. Race stopped his game of poker, Mush and Spot Conlon (who was visiting from Brooklyn) stopped wrestling around, Davey looked up from his book, and Jack, who was helping Blink with some selling ideas, starred at me.

"Well, what's everyone looking at!" I shouted, throwing my hands in the air.

"Well Miss Priss, you said youse was goin on a date!" Romeo stated the obvious.

"So... It's perfectly normal for a girl my age to be courting a boy." I said, blushing and gauging Jack's reaction.

Ever since the night on the roof I've been nothing but cordial to him. My philosophy is clear. Keep my distance and only do what's necessary when it comes to socializing. He still brings his "lady friends" around and has in no way, after all I said to him, tried to make things better. I know I shouldn't have assumed he would, but I had hope. I knew things would not be the same, but I just wanted him back. Seems like he's to far gone I guess.

"But you ain't jus some girl Mia!" Race said, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah! Youse is like a baby sista to us!" Mush jumped in backing him up.

Soon after all the boys, including Spot, started giving me a barrage of questions. "Why we oughta meet this kid." "Where's 'e from? Huh?" "Wha's his name?" "Does he got any sistas?" The questions swirled around me, it was quite alarming actually, but the only thing I really noticed was Jack.

Well, I mean I didn't notice him. But, I notice he as gone. He had left. And, I'm not sure what that meant.

"Mia, is ya gonna answer da questions or not?" Specs said, grasping the sides of my face.

"It's Mr. Darcy. You know of him, in sure! Actually, if I'm not mistaken he's the one that helped you in your strike. He's a very nice gentlemen and I do enjoy his company."

"But not as much as you enjoy mine, right?" Romeo said, putting his arm around my shoulder.

"Oh on the contrary. I enjoy is extremely more than yours dear Romeo!"

At this point all the boys busted out laughing and the chaos began again. I took this as my chance to leave without being notice. I grabbed my shaw and check on my Grandfather who was sitting up and reading blissfully, as he had began to show signs of improvement lately, before making a dash for the door and heading towards Market.

Walking outside the summer breeze blew my hair gently and the fragrances from the flower shoppe filled my nose, causing me to smile.

"Mia, please can we'se... I'm talk?" Thee stood Jack Kelly in all his glory, scratching his neck with one hand, and the other shoved behind his back.

***

A/N:

So I hopped yall enjoyed this update! I tried to make it a little longer, so I hope I succeeded!

Please comment, vote and leave any questions.

OH ALSO!
If you read my other book (Changin') then you know I had mentioned a Racetrack fanfiction. BUT I also have an idea for a Davey story. So, please comment saying which you'd rather me write. Eventually Id like to do one of each but I can only start one for now. And it be a little while before which ever one yall pick is published! So, just let me know!

-K.
XxOo