Chapter Three: Mama Mia

Mia's POV

"Sheew!" I sighed, wiping my brow of the droplets of sweat that had formed from the last three hours or so of cleaning.

The lodging house was a mess! Quiet frankly I'm not sure how the boys lived in such a pig sty! I mean, I know they are boys, but it was absolutely disgusting! Dirty knickers everywhere! Crumbs of food that could attract a rat! It was absolutely horrifying!

So, I gathered, very distantly, all the dirty, nasty knickers and clothes and hand washed them, before creating a makeshift line and hanging them. Then, I found the broom that was kept in the kitchen and swept. Everywhere! I wiped down all the tables and made every bed, I even went to the market with the money I left home with and bought enough food for everyone for a whole week!

I was to receive a weekly allowance, delivered by a butler, from my parents. I'm sure they expected me to use it for new dresses or perhaps husband hunting outings, but that was not my plan. I will use every penny I can for the newsboys and their upkeep!

I checked on my grandfather every hour on the hour and every time I did my heart broke a little more. I hated seeing him like this! He used to be so full of life and love!

***

It was four in the afternoon when I started making supper, and I was really excited for all of the boys to come home. I hadn't seen them in eight years, but I'm positive that at least Jack will remember me! he was-is- my best friend and my...well I guess you could say that I love him.

In fact I think I have loved him since the minute he knocked me down the stairs, when we were five; although, he'll tell every one he was five and three-quarters. I knew things about Jack nobody knew and him the same about me. Of course, though, I'm sure some things have changed about him. Time changes everyone. For instances, I am not the weak little girl who would not stand up for herself, anymore. I was know sixteen and taking care of my sickly grandfather and his ratty group of newsies, whom I love more then my own family, I had to be strong for them.

After setting the spaghetti noodles to boil, and the mushroom sauce to sauté, I hurried if to m little corner and changed into a different dress.
This one a light pink shade, with buttons that ran down the back in a lilic color that matched the lace trim throughout the dress. The dress reached my ankles, revealing a pair if cream colored, flat shoe. I brushed my dirty blond hair out, causing to fall into its natural waves and then I tucked it behind my ears and let if flow down behind me, reaching my lower back. Mother said, "Long hair is an asset of a beautiful girl.", and I could not ever even fathom cutting my hair short. I applied a light lip rouge, leaving the rest of my face very pale. I then, pinched my cheeks until they flushed with color, and after looking into a small mirror I left the room in confidence.

I went a took a small plate to my grandfather, accompanied by another glass of water, in which he gladly accepted.

"I haven't had a meal like this since your mother was cooking for me."

"Why, grandfather! That's terrible, I wish I would have been allowed to come and see you. Maybe you would not be as sick..." I said, looking at the ground, ashamed of myself.

"This is not your fault Mia. It is your parents." He said reaching and grabbing my hand and pulling me to the side of his bed. I kneeled down on his left right side, and he placed his cold hand to my check. A single, warm tear feel from my eye, but he wiped it away and have me a soft smile.

"But why would they not, grandfather?" I asked, my voice was soft.

"All in due time my Mia. But for now, the boys should be nearly home and the second they smell this delicious food, They will destroy the kitchen." Grandfather chucked at some past memory and patted my cheek.

"I'll come check on you soon grandfather." I said, pushing myself off the floor and walking out of his room.

I walked into the kitchen and started putting spaghetti and sauce onto the eclectic plates, that I had previously washed. I set over twenty seven plates of spaghetti on the tables and then started cleaning up the dirty pots.

A loud crash came from the lobby, followed by shouting and rowdy noises.

"WAIT! Boys, do youse smell dat?" Someone called out.

"Yea, what is that delightful smell!"

"Well, we all knows it ain't Boots!"

The shouts kept getting closer to the kitchen, so I put down the dishes and turned to great them.

"Who's dat?" A boy with glasses said.

Specs.

I knew they probably wouldn't remember me, but it still hit a little! I was such a prominent part of the lodging house when I was a little one that, I thought it would be hard to forget me.

"It looks like...." The boy with a cigar hanging from his mouth said.

Racetrack Higgins.

"But it can't be..." A muscular boy, stared at me mystified.

Mush.

"I'd remember those brown eyes anywhere." One of the boys said.

"Romeo..." I whispered, a smile broke out on my face. The boy ran to me, grasping me in his arms and spinning me around.

"I can't believe it's you!" He shouted, rather boastfully. Romeo always flirted with me when we were kids, but I only had eyes for Jack and he was the only one that knew it.

"It is her!" A boy, limping over to me, with a crutch said.

"It is Crutchie! It is!" I smiled at him as Romeo let go of me. I walked over and placed a hand on his cheek. I always had a soft spot for him.

"LOOK EVERYONE! MAMA MIA'S BACK!" Race yelled to the crowd of newsies behind him.

"Again with the nicknames." I sighed, a smirk on my face. But, in fact I as quiet happy that they remembered what they used to call me.

Mama Mia.

It was cheesy, but it made me feel at home. When I was little they would always tease me, because I acted like a mother would. I took care if them and made sure they weren't getting Ito any trouble, even if they were older then me.

"Who's 'Mama Mia'?" A small boy with brown hair and brown eyes said, pushing his way through the crowd with a wooden sword.

I bent down, with my hands on my knees, "Why, I am kiddo. Who might you be?"

"I'm Les!" he said, pushing his wooden sword Ito his belt, and extending his hand to me. I shook his hand, and then ruffled his hair.

"How old are you Les?"

"Nearly nine!" He responded.

"But that's no good. We's already told him he needs ta say he's seven. Seven sells papes!" Race said, pulling me up and into a hug.

"You smell like stale cigar Racetrack Higgins. When was the last time you bathed?" I said, crinkling my nose in disgust.

"Awe don't be like that Mia! you always loved my choice of stench!" he said, giving me a noogie!

"That's where you are wrong!" I said, smoothing my hair. There was a tug in my hand and I turned to see it was Les.

"This is my brother David. He's older."

"No kiddin'." I said, as I started up into a pair of brown eyes.

He stuck his hand out to me and I shook it. "You are the first person to not spot their hand before they shook mine."

"You'se guys still do that!" I said in disgust, but I also chuckled to myself at the crazy tradition.

All the other boys in the room started laughing at me.

"You know how Jackie boy is! Always like his weird traditions, he did!" Mush said as he plopped down at one of the tables. All the boys followed his lead and began to dig in.

My heart sped up at the mention of Jacks name and my cheeks began to go flush.

I cleared my throat before asking, "Where is Jack?"

"Depends on who's asking!" A voice called from behind me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi guys!
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I put so much effort making it good that i spent two hours on it! so, please comment anything and vote it would mean the world!!!

Love ya
-K.
XxOo