Chapter Eight: Five and Three-quarters

Mia's POV

The sound of feet shuffling upstairs woke me from a restless sleep and after opening the door from my room, I could tell it was in the early hours of the morning, no later than three. I walked towards my grandpa's room to see him soundly sleeping and snoring lightly.

After checking on him I made my way towards the stairs almost tripping on the small boy, named mousey. I picked him up a placed him on my right hip and continued up the stairs too the boys room. I made sure that everyone was decent- which they were, before walking in and laying him on an empty bed that was clad with a blue blanket and beat up teddy bear. Everyone seemed to be rightfully asleep, so I began making my way back towards the staircase.

"Hey you!" A voice whispered to me. I spun on my heel, instantly regretting it as I saw a shirtless Jack Kelly, sitting up in his bed.

"Yes." I responded attempting to keep my voice void of all emotion.

"Can we'se talk for ah minute." I nodded my head and walked towards the fire escape, assuming that he'd want to talk on the roof, that was his place. His sanctuary.

I stood there for a minute, gesturing for him to lead the way, and he did, after a moment of hesitation. I guess, he wondered why a complete "stranger" would know where he'd want to talk.

Once outside, the cold wind began to nip and my face and I could already imagine the shade of red the tip of my nose was turning.

"So, who is ya 'n why'se did everyone stare at meh like Ise done killed a puppy for not knowin Ya?" At this moment my heart shattered and I broke down. Tears began falling and animal like sobs escaped my lips. The realization that the only boy I had loved and will ever love did not remember had finally dawned on me. I had tried to deny it, chalk it up to the time spent apart. But time, doesn't erase your best friend from your memory. It just doesn't. And Jack seemed so harsh and cold. The world had gotten to him, he said he'd never change, he'd never forget. But he did.

"What happened to you Jackie? What happened to the care free newsie that sold headlines not papes? What happened to the fearless leader? What happened to the five year old that knocked me down the steps? What happened!"

"Aye! Ise was five and three-quartahs!!

And as if a light had been turned on, realization shown on his face.

"Mia."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DONT KILL ME 😵

I'm so so sorry! It's been 5 MONTHS but senior year is hella busy and what not. MORE REGULAR UPDATES TO COME!

Author updates:
1. IVE SEEN NEWSIES THREE TIMES THIS WEEK IN CHARLOTTE ON TOUR!
2. I committed, on scholarship, to the Western Carolina Theatre College.
3. Potentially having coffee with Ben Tyler Cook tomorrow, I'm so excited!
4. I am in love with Ben Tyler Cook.
5. Like I can't even with how amazing he is.
6. If you are still reading, and you happen to be Ben Tyler Cook. I'm sorry I'm creepy. Lol