Why is being a teenager so complicated?

"Nina... just don't be reckless is all I'm saying" Bucky told her when he pulled up to Liz's house. 

"Flash is a jerk dad, you don't know him. I'd take Ultron over him, he's that bad. He has no right to bully Peter, and Peter don't even get me started on him. He never stands up for him and last week Ned told me Peter likes Liz- yes this Liz and no I-I guess I'm just frustrated" Athena huffed. 

"Whoa, when did the conversation go from a bully to Peter liking someone?" Bucky chuckled, but stopped when Athena glared at him. "Well, here's what I think. I think you're a wonderful person, and if Peter can't see that... well that's his loss. But I really think he likes you" 

"I don't know and I don't care. Boys are just so... argh difficult." Athena then opened the car door and stepped out. "I have something to prove to Flash and that's exactly what Peter and I are going to do. Thanks for... whatever that was dad... I don't not love you"

"I don't not love you too Nina" 

Athena walked towards May's car from which Peter and Ned stepped out. 

"Hey idiots!" Athena greeted them. 

"We may be idiots, but we're your idiots" Ned told her. 

Ned and Peter hadn't dressed up and neither had Athena. She had worn a baggy hoodie and jeans which were really hard to put on top of her suit. 

"Nice hat Ned, Parker you got the suit?" She dropped her voice for the last part as they started walking to the house. 

"Yeah, you?" Peter rolled up his sleeve to show his red spandex suit underneath, Athena did the same and showed him he black and grey suit. 

"This is gonna change our lives." Ned said. 

"We're not that bad of losers are we?" Athena asked, Peter gave her a small smile and nodded. 

"We actually might be"

The three walked in and Athena realised this whole plan might've been a bad idea. 

"Okay. We're gonna have Spider-Man swing in, say you guys are tight, and then I get a fist bump or one of those half bro-hugs." Ned told Peter, "And Shadow, you can... do a really cool entrance maybe a backflip... and twirl your stick a bit" 

"It's not a stick Ned, it's state of the art technology complete with a holo-shield too and Tony's gonna flip when he finds out I brought it to a party" Athena took a breath to calm herself. 

"Oh, my gosh." Liz walked toward the trio and Athena frowned, "Hey, guys. Cool hat, Ned."

"Hi Liz" the boys greeted. 

"Um.. hey" Athena said a little late. 

"I'm so happy you guys came. There's pizza and drinks. Help yourself" Liz smiled. The sound of glass breaking finally caught Liz's attention and she turned.

"Oh, I... My parents will kill me if anything's broken. I gotta-" She said sheepishly and walked away. 

"Dude, what are you doing? She's here. Spider it up." Ned told Peter. 

"No, no, no. I can't... I cannot do this. Spider-Man is not a party trick, okay? Neither is Shadow, you shouldn't do it either. Look, I'm just gonna... be myself." Peter said.

"Peter, no one wants that" Ned sighed. 

"Dude" Athena chuckled.

Peter was offended by it and was about to walk away when unfortunately Flash spotted him. 

"Penis Parker, what's up?" 

Everyone's attention turned to the trio. Athena groaned and face palmed. 

"So, where's your pal Spider-Man? Let me guess. In Canada with your imaginary girlfriend?"

He played a honking noise and everyone except Ned, Peter and Athena laughed. 

"That's not Spider-Man. That's just Ned in a red shirt." Everyone boo'd or chuckled and Peter frowned. 

"And you Barnes, how we looking about your bff? Or is it girlfriend you freak?" Flash asked her. Athena's palms became sweaty and her clothes seemed too tight. She hated the attention that everyone was now giving her. 

"Leave her out of this Flash" Peter said in a small voice. 

"No, I don't think I will. She's just a liar, like you. Athena and her criminal dad" Flash said into the microphone. 

Athena only saw red. 

One second she was next to Peter and the next she was across the room, tackling Flash. She tried not to use her fists in fear that she would hurt him, after about a minute she had him pinned to the ground, but was dragged backwards by Peter. 

"Thea, hey, he's not worth it" He whispered in her ear. 

Athena could only hold her tears back so long, she ran out the house and away from the party. 

.....

"Thea" Athena heard Peter approach, she was sitting on some one's roof just staring out into space. 

"Parker" she greeted without even turning to see him. "I'm sorry about attacking Flash" 

Peter sat down next to her, pulling off his spider-man mask. They were both now in their suits, but without their masks.

"No it's good, I think he deserved it" Peter slipped his hand into hers. 

"It's just... Dad's already trying so hard and after the government-" Athena sighed. "That and the stupid homophobic comment"

"I know, I know... forget about that jerk" Peter smiled. 

"You should've stayed at the party. Showed up as Spider-man maybe." Athena changed the topic.

"No, I couldn't do that to you. And Ned was only saying that because he thought I liked Liz." 

"You don't?" Athena scrunched up her face and turned to face him. 

"No, I- I mean I used to but-" A blue explosion far away made him pause, "What the hell?" 

"How about we find out... Spidey?" Athena smirked at him