chapter 17

[Jayden's P

[Jayden's P.O.V]

"So, how have you been?" Kayden asks, breaking the silence as he pulls out his fishing rod.

Okay your brain right now? It needs therapy.

"Already told you, I'm fine." I answered, and that's the truth. I feel fine and content. I'm happy hanging out with my brother once again while eating peanuts, doing our favorite activity to make up for the lost years. The way the lake calmly sits still as the winds hit my face is giving me internal clarity.

It feels wonderful. "I should be the one asking you that question." I look at him, giving him my sincerest concern. "I don't know what happened to you after all these years. You simply just... disappeared." I sigh, looking up to the sky and trying my best not to reminisce about the day when he left our doorstep with my dad having to literally yank him and carry him over to the car because we were both crying so hard.

It was a sad memory.

But now, my other half is finally here.

And I feel at peace, finally.

"I am so sorry, Jayden. I never intended for you to feel alone." Kayden looks at me, the guilt starting to fill his eyes.

I placed a hand on top of his and squeezed it. "I never felt resentment towards you. I understand what happened. I would have done the same thing, heck I would have done much more."

"I know you would." He nods.

"Heck, if I have a choice I would have joined you." I shake my head, feeling sympathy for my twin. Imagine living with a new family of your dad's with your half siblings that has nothing to do with you whatsoever. Kayden was all alone by himself and I feel bad as a brother to not have been present for him.

"And what? Leave Daniel behind? No." He smiles. "We're the only ones he got. He's a part of us, more than you expect."

I gave him a weird look from that last statement. "Of course he is, I cherish him deeply."

He looks at me and smiles. "Me too."

"So," I scoff, changing the subject because talking about Daniel actually makes me nervous, "any girlfriends back in Canada?"

The question catches him off guard, choking on air as he laughs and looks at me as if I'm crazy.

"You okay bro?" I gave him a look.

"Yes, it's the peanuts." He responds. After that there was a long, painful, awkward silence. It's annoying because I am never this awkward with my brother as far as I can remember. We should be chilling like classic bros but now I'm getting the feeling that both of us are walking on eggshells.

"Your girlfriend was a peanut?" I asked back, looking confused.

"No," he groans, frustration visible in his tone, "I mean I'm fine. It's the peanuts that caused me to choke."