5

As soon as you got back to your apartment, you raced to your room. Knowing Juliette, she likely had a boy over again, so you wanted to avoid what you saw last time when you were reckless and opening the door without thinking about it twice.

As you ran to your room, you slammed the door behind you and jumped right into your bed. Letting out a soft groan as your face smushed into the fluffy pillow and the soft fabric. You sat up, propping yourself up with your elbows as you pulled your phone out from your pocket and unlocked it, punching in the digits of your passcode.

You immediately went to your contacts to send a text to Grace to get a conversation started and hold her attention and interest on you. You could tell you were starting to form a crush on her. Feeling the same emotions you felt when you began to like Karl back in the day, but the feeling was different. Maybe it was because Grace was the first girl you liked, but that explanation didn't seem quite right either. You moved on, ignoring the thoughts, brushing them off as just overthinking as you went back to texting Grace herself.

Hey grace, are u free to talk rn?

As you waited for her to answer, you stared at the blue light that your phone screen emitted. You waited impatiently when Grace didn't answer immediately. After concluding she was busy, you remembered Karl. You had to get back to him anyway, so there was an excuse to distract yourself from Grace and bring your own attention towards your old friend.

Switching apps from Messages to Instagram, you went to yours and Karl's DMs. You began typing in a quick message and pressing send before you could think too much about it and deciding on not messaging him at all. You tended to do that when you were talking to new people - or in this case, someone you used to know.

hey karl, I just got back from work! I'm free to talk now :) also I was hoping we could switch to texting if that's ok w u?

After sending, you smushed yourself face first into your pillow as you let out an anxious squeal, pressing your phone into your chest as you waited eagerly for a reply from either Karl or Grace. Eventually you felt a soft buzz from your phone, notifying you of a message. Or at least you hoped. For all you know it could've been Instagram notifying you that Doja Cat went live impulsively for the one hundredth time today.

It did turn out to be from Grace, though.

Hey sexy book girl! 😭 nah but fr, I'm free to talk. just finished reading the first few chapters of The Darkest Minds !!!!!!!!!!!

You smiled, letting out an exhale from your nose as a soft laugh. The amount of exclamation points Grace had used in her text showed a bit of her bubbly personality. She was beginning to come out of her shell with you and it made you happy to know she was getting comfortable around you.

omg how do you like it?

You waited patiently for her response, staring at your phone waiting for anything to happen. Suddenly you saw the three grey dots that appeared when someone was typing.

a little more gorey than the movie, but nothing I can't handle, haha! 😁👍

The emojis Grace used made you smile, she was so cute. After a bit of texting, you asked her if she would like to go out later in the week on Thursday to get coffee as a date. She agreed happily - or at least from what you could tell from the immense amount of smiley blushy emojis the girl used. An hour later, way after your conversation with Grace was over, you got a response from Karl.

hellooooo sorry I was streaming but we can talk now :D

Your heart immediately flipped ten times more than what Grace had made yours. You mentally told yourself off. You had a date with Grace on Thursday, you had to be loyal to her. Then again, you two aren't officially together, right?

so how have u been? it's been a while since we spoke last haha !!!

Days had past since you last talked to Karl and it was the Thursday of your date. It was early in the morning, around eight. The sky was cloudy and the air was crisp from the chilling weather. It wasn't too bad to handle, you had been living in Denver since you started college. You were used to the cool weather by now.

Currently you were in your room putting on your clothes. It was casual clothing, but it was your nice casual clothes. Even if it's just for coffee, you still wanted to look nice for Grace. After putting on your jacket over your sweater, you looked in the mirror, sighing to yourself.

"You can do this, it's just a date." You mumbled to yourself as you checked if you looked okay in the mirror, flattening out any dramatic and unflattering creases in your clothing.

Whilst you double checked your hair, making sure it looked at least decent, your mind began to wander. It hit you that not only was this your first date with a girl and with Grace, it was also your first date in general. What do you even do? You began to become increasingly anxious.

You quickly ran out of your room to where Juliette was in the living room, watching The Umbrella Academy. "Jules, um, do you remember that girl I told you about?"

"Yeah, the pink haired bitch right?" She asked, popping a potato chip into her mouth, her eyes glued to the screen.

"So, her name is Grace and I may or may not have a date with her in, like, forty minutes." You told Juliette. She paused the show quickly wi th the click of the remote.

"Are you for real?" Juliette began in a low voice as she slowly turned her head towards you with a blank stare that you couldn't read. "And you didn't bother to tell me?!" Your roommate practically screeched.

"And it may also be my first date." You added on meekly.

"Like, ever?" Juliette asked.

"Ever." You repeated.

"Dear lord, let me give you some advice then I'll send you in your way, I guess!" Juliette said, groaning as she stood up from the couch, the blankets that covered her falling from her shoulders and back onto the couch beneath her.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" You said gratefully as she walked over to you.

"Don't mention it." Juliette said with a small sigh.