10

It was an early morning Sunday at the local park. The warm weather had finally arrived, and it was hotter than ever. You and Grace sat on a picnic blanket, eating donuts from a local bakery and drinking your usual Dunkin' Donuts order, this time iced to stay cool. The two of you were watching a random John Mulaney comedy special you found on Netflix on your laptop.

One thing the two of you had in common: your love for John Mulaney. You remember you introduced him to your mom and you would watch the stand up comedian together whilst your dad was drunk in the next room over, babbling to his friends over the phone.

"Y'ever seen a ghost?!" John Mulaney's voice rang within the wired earbuds the two of you were sharing. You chuckled softly at his delivery as you bit into a jelly filled donut.

You glanced over at your girlfriend, she was sitting next to you with her head on your shoulder. She wore a yellow sundress with little white flowers dazzled upon it, paired with black boots. She looked pretty to say the least, she always did.

You turned to her and pressed a kiss onto the top of her head as you swung an arm around her shoulder. You wanted to cherish the moment forever.

"Are you out?" You asked, to Grace it seemed random.

"I - yes, why?" She asked as she looked up at you, her arms on your waist.

"I was wondering if I could take a picture and post it?" You asked her. She smiled at you before sitting up.

"You wanna show me off, huh?" Grace teased. You buried your face in the crook of her neck.

"Maybe..." You said softly in a sing-song voice.

"Alright, hand me your phone. Let's take some pics." Grace said as she waited for you to place your phone in her hand. You took your phone out of your pocket, unlocked it, and handed it to her.

Grace quickly found the camera and began to take pictures of you two together. One of you two next to each other, one of Grace kissing your cheek, and one of the donuts and drinks you were eating. You posted them all to Instagram.

hangin w my girl @ grace5070

You placed your phone down on the checkered blanket screen up as you continued to have your lovely date with your significant other. You and Grace continued to eat your donuts, drink your iced beverages, and watching John Mulaney complain about Donald Trump with a metaphor with a horse being in a hospital. Pretty accurate in your opinion.

Suddenly you heard a small buzz, a vibration from your phone notifying you on a notification. You glanced at it, it being just one from Instagram but did a double take. It was notifying you that Karl liked your post of you and Grace. Your heart sunk. It must've hurt for him, he obviously was being flirty yesterday, taking some interest in you. It hurt you knowing he probably hurt from seeing her lips on your face.

"Hey, you should put it on silent when we're on dates." Grace said, keeping her eyes glued to the screen.

"Yeah, right." You said as you held your phone, doing as she told you.

"This is the third time in a row it's happened." Grace pointed out.

"Yeah, I can be pretty forgetful sometimes." You mumble to her as you push your phone back in the back pocket of your jeans.

"A lot of the time, actually." Grace commented as she popped the last bite of her donut into her mouth.

"Sorry, it's just-" You had a lot lot on your mind right now, but you couldn't tell her that - tell her about how you sometimes that when Grace's hands were touching your bare skin, you would imagine they were Karl's instead.

"You have a lot on your mind." Your girlfriend said as she grabbed her drink to sip on.

"Seems you can read it." You said as you sat up with her and partook in snacking with her.

"Hmm." Grace hummed. "You look like you're thinking. Your eyebrows are all... furrowed. So tell me, little miss wonder, what's on your mind?"

"I don't know." You said. "A lot, I guess. Mostly thinking about how I can't work as a cashier at a book store forever and I don't think working as a seamstress would work out for me, honestly." You said, quickly deflecting.

"Guess that could be what's got your mind in a twist." Grace began before adding something that made you feel so vulnerable. Something that gave away she knew somewhat you didn't love her as much as you would if you truly did. "But that's not what you were actually thinking about, now was it? Tell me. I'm curious." Grace asked as she leaned in.

"I... what if I wasn't ready to tell you? Would you be patient enough to wait for me?" You asked her.

"I'd do anything for you." Grace replied.

She really did admire you. It warmed your heart as you realized that and she admitted it in her own way, but it hurt your heart knowing you were lying to her. Lying about your true feelings about the whole relationship. Maybe you were a bad person after all. You pushed the negative thought out of your mind as you continued to try and enjoy your date without feeling too guilty.

You put your arm around her as you continued to watch the comedy special until the sun was right above your head and more people began to come to the park. The privacy the two of you had diminished as more people came in and the both of you decided it was time to go to your respective homes.

As you walked towards your car, hand in hand, you felt a bad feeling in the pit in your stomach. You couldn't pin the reason why yet, but you kept trying to think why you felt so rotten. The thoughts made your mind cloudy. Maybe listening to music from Chloe Moriondo's Blood Bunny would clear your muddied brain.