6

You sat in a small booth with Grace opposite of you. Her mask was pulled down and around her chin as she occasionally took sips of her mocha as you two talked. Part of you wished you ordered a mocha as well, the brick weather along with a hot cup of chocolatey coffee was probably really nice and calming. But for now you were stuck with your usual order, which you didn't mind but you did like to mix it up every now and then.

"So yeah, when the PSI agent shot herself in the mouth because the orange kid made her, I was really surprised. I was like 'That wasn't in the movie!'" Grace said as she laughed, holding her cup close to herself.

"Yeah, when I read the book in high school I was a bit surprised when I read that. The way the author, Alex, described the gore it just..." You began, cutting yourself off with a shudder, causing Grace to chuckle. After taking a sip of your drink, you continued. "But yeah, I usually stick to romances when it comes to books. I was a big AO3 and Fanfiction.net person in middle school and high school, so when I found out that books could be gorey too, I was surprised to say the least." You said with a soft laugh.

"Oh! You were into fanfics as a kid? What was your favorite trope?" Grace asked, getting even more intrigued. You smiled, you would say you were doing exceptionally well on this date.

"Hmm... I dunno, I liked a lot." You began. "I'd say, just to name a few, maybe fake dating, there's only one bed, and friends to lovers."

"Really? I believe in enemies to lovers supremacy all the way, baby!" Grace said with a small laugh. You laughed along too.

"I mean, I like it, but sometimes it just comes off as a little cringe to me when the author can't execute it right." You said.

"I mean, yeah, I see what you mean, but I still like it better. Plus, we're talking about fanfiction probably written by fourteen year olds here. Of course it's gonna be at least a little cringe!" Grace pointed out.

"Yeah, that I can agree with." You said with a small laugh. Then all of the sudden, your phone that was faced down on the table vibrated. "Oh, sorry, I thought I put it on silent."

"If it's important, you can answer." Grace replied, taking a sip of her mocha.

"Um," You mumbled to yourself, picking up your phone so you could put it on silent mode, but the notification that you got caught your eye. A message from Karl during your date. You quickly read it before moving on.

good morning (y/n), wanna talk? 😊

You held bit a grin, Karl couldn't help but make you happy with his dorky-ness. You snapped back to reality, setting your phone to silent and returning it faced down onto the table.

"Was it an emergency or somethin'?" Grace asked, taking a sip of her drink.

"No, it was just a friend saying good morning." You said, brushing it off. "I'll get back to them later." Grace smiled sweetly.

"Well they sound like a good friend to me." She complimented Karl kindly even if she didn't know who he was.

"Yeah. They are." You replied. "But enough about me. I wanna get to know you." You said, it being your turn to listen to Grace speak as you took occasional sips of your drink.

About another fifteen minutes of chatting and laughing amongst one another, the two of you finished your drinks and decided it would be a good idea to walk to the nearby park.

After a while of walking, the conversation died down to a comfortable silence as you walked beside the taller woman. The back of each other's hands lightly brushed against each other. It took you about a full five minutes before you could build the courage to hold Grace's hand, but you were too late. Grace grabbed your hand gently with her slightly larger one before you could. Her fingers intertwined with yours, not only keeping it warm but comforting you.

You looked up at the woman and smiled, your eyes squinted, signifying that you were grinning up at her since she couldn't see your actual smile as it was covered by your face mask.

Eventually you two made it to the park, the comfortable silence remaining. The two of you communicating with general hand gestures, like when Grace would call you over, she would tap your shoulder or even tugged at the sleeve of your jacket with a light pull.

You two made it to a little pond, the edges were lined with grey bricks. There were ducks and lily pads and other aquatic vegetation that was in the pond.

Grace walked over to the pond as you sat in the yellowed and dried grass. The snow from earlier in the week has completely melted within two days, but the grass was still a little moist. Not to much time make you uncomfortable or for the moisture to soak in and dampen your pants.

You watched Grace look at the brown ducks. The dullness of the feathers signifying that these were female ducks. You were hoping that duckinkgs would be somewhere, but there were none in sight. There wouldn't be until the spring.

Grace's long skirt blew in the wind, even if it was her backside and you couldn't see her face, she still managed to look stunning. You softly cursed at yourself as the butterflies of your stomach began to misbehave again.

You pulled out your phone to take pictures of the ducks and your date, but then suddenly your phone showed that Karl was calling you. You groaned. Bad timing. You decided to answer since if Karl was the same Karl you knew back in senior year, he would keep calling over and over.

"Hello?" You asked, Grace turned when she heard you taking.

"Hi." Karl said, sounding groggy.

"Jesus, did you sleep at all?" You asked. Karl giggled softly.

"No! I wanted to catch up." He said in an overly positive tone. That's the Karl you used to know.

"Karl, I - I'm busy right now, we can talk later. You're interrupting something." You explained to your high school friend.

"Oh, sorry. Uhhh..." Karl trailed off before he hung up abruptly.

"Who was that?" Grace asked, walking up to you.

"The friend I told you about earlier."