18

"Uh -" You began to sputter. Grace looked very obviously furious, steam was practically emitting from her ears. She was fuming. Karl was the last person she wanted to see you with. "I can explain." She already didn't like him form her accusations against you, but then being spotted with him almost immediately after has got to sting.

"You can explain outside." Grace said in a a bitter tone after she had walked closer to you. Everyone was staring from her initially cussing you out. You let out a sigh, thankful she wouldn't want to fight when everyone is listening closely at the lick of drama.

"Okay." You replied, pausing to glance at Karl. From the look on his face, he felt partially guilty and partially dumbfounded, anticipating what would happen next.

Grace brought her hand to your wrist and tugged you outside the Starbucks, the bell above the door rung when she opened the door. Her long black acrylic nails dug slightly into your wrist. You bit the inside of your cheek to distract you from the pinching stinging pain on the soft skin of your wrist. Bitching about it would probably cause her to dig her nails even deeper. You supposed you deserved it after being so distant.

While she tugged you along to wherever, your mind was going a million miles an hour. The thoughts of yours ranged from what Grace could possibly want to what you would tell your manager when you came back to work way passed your forty minute time limit.

Unexpectedly, Grace had brought you to behind the strip mall building. From this view you would see the Dunkin' Donuts that you and Juliette would go to almost every afternoon and/or morning when going to community college was still a thing for you. Part of you missed it - the routine, but the other part of yourself wanted to enjoy the summer vacation before you had to even think about life again.

Then you remembered that it was also the same Dunkin' Donuts you and Grace had your first date together. It hurt seeing it since you kinda figured that this was the moment she would be ending things with you.

As you stated at the coffee shop, Grace let go of your wrist and brought her hand up to snap your attention away from the shop with a small clearing of her throat going along with it.

You turned back to look up at the taller woman. Her being angry and looking down at you made you feel smaller than what you really were.

Things were quiet for a moment. Grace was thinking of all the possible things she could tell you, picking one of the many complaints she had to choose from. You on the other hand was just waiting to hear what she had to say and what mental beating you had to get from her.

"That was Karl right?" Grace asked.

"I - He's - Yeah." You stammered over your words from the pressure. "Yeah, that's Karl."

Grace's face becoming more scrunched, her eyebrows becoming knit together and her lips thinning as she looked down upon you. After a moment of mentally degrading you, her face softened.

"Do you love him?" Asked Grace abruptly. It snapped you out of your thoughts. The question felt like it came out of no where.

Part of you knew the answer, the other part didn't know if it was the correct one. You did love Karl - in fact, you were head over heels in love with him.

"What?" You asked instead in an attempt to deflect the question and to try and almost avoid it entirely.

"God damn it, (Y/n). Do you love him or not?" Grace asked, tears forming in her eyes. This time it was your turn for your face to soften. You didn't realize how much this ate away at Grace. You felt so selfish for thinking only of yourself in this moment. Grace clearly needed straight forward answers, not wanting to hear nonsense and the actual truth.

Tears pricked your eyes as you nodded your head, realizing that you doing so was the end of things between you and Grace. Grace scoffed.

"I always knew.I don't think it's not fair for you to get all sad, though." Grace said. You nodded but you couldn't help it, you began weeping. You feared her judgement but you couldn't help it. Part of you wasn't ready to let go.

You hugged her middle tightly, crying into her. She hugged you tight back as you began to unravel, your knees going weak. The two of you began to fall to the floor, landing in a sitting position as you continued to cry. She was crying too, into your head. You felt her teardrops in your hair.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." You apologized profusely between choking sobs. You felt embarrassed by how much you tried to cling to her. This all felt so embarrassing.

"It's okay, I'm just frustrated." Grace replied. She was being honest. She pulled you away and looked into your eyes, smiling at your pretty face as she wiped away your tears. You did the same to her.

"I think I truly do love you, just not in the way you would want." You admitted.

"I love you too, but we both know this is the end of things between us, huh?" Grace asked. You sniffled and softly laughed, nodding.

"I'm so sorry." You whispered as her forehead touched yours. "I know it's selfish but, goodbye kiss?"

Grace nodded and brought each other's mouths to interlock with one and other. This kiss felt different, more empty.

No one wants to let go. It was hard for the both of you, but you had to do this. You couldn't keep living a lie.

As you pulled away the both of you softly chuckled at how stupid the two of you probably look from an outsider's perspective. You looked at her face and saw puffy her eyes looked and how flushed her skin was.

When the two of you stood back up, you felt a weight lift off of your shoulders. You felt different, mentally lighter. That's how you knew what you were doing was right.