15

After the whole situation with Grace, things had began to calm down. The atmosphere was still thick enough to cut with a knife. It was tense and it only felt tense-r when you remembered your best friend still being on call.

You and Grace sat in awkward silence, debating internally amongst yourselves with decisions you were making.

Grace was wondering if she should speak up, tell you that she knew that you professing your supposed love to her wasn't entirely genuine. You were wondering whether you should ask her to stay at your apartment or to send her on her way. I mean, her car was directly next to yours.

Although, you were afraid it would come off as harsh. Like the way it would feel when you hook up with someone and they send you away as soon as they woke up, first thing in the morning.

Shaking the thoughts from your head as your mind trailed off, you finally came to a decision. No matter how awkward it would be, it would be the polite thing to do to invite her to stay over a night. After gathering the courage to suggest your proposal, you turned to her to say something.

Grace turned at the exact same time, looking as if she wanted to say something as well. From Grace's side of things, she had made the decision to let you know she doubted your love for her, but when she turned to say something, she saw you did the same.

The both of you noticed when you saw each others mouths begin to open slightly in order to form the words that were on your mind, but stopped yourselves when you saw you two would just end up speaking and sputtering over each other.

"You go first." Grace said politely, voice scratchy and hoarse. You couldn't tell if it was because of all of her crying or just from her staying silent for a prolonged amount of time.

"Are you sure?" You asked her. She simply nodded in response. You sighed, knowing this would be awkward. "Um," You began, trying not to trip over your words. "Do you - do you wanna say over at my place?"

Grace's face fell almost expressionless which gave you a difficult time trying to read it. You couldn't tell if her face went blank was because she was pissed off or if she didn't know how to respond.

"No." Grace replied rather quickly. "Um, thank you for the offer, though." Grace said as she sat up, trying to remain kind even if you could hear the traces of negative emotion in her tone. Not quite sadness but not quite anger. She was tired - exhausted.

Unbeknownst to you, she always suspected you of some sort cheating. At first she was worried because she knew you went both ways. She brushed it off as ignorance and some internalized heterosexism of some sort. Brushed it off as her own ignorance. But her suspicion got to the better of her ever since she learned of this Karl fellow. She had felt tired, tossing in turning when she was alone at night, her bed empty of your warmth as she wondered if you loved him.

You talked about him a lot. And by a lot, I mean enough to where she felt like you weren't one hundred percent truthful to her about your feelings regarding Karl.

"Um, do you want me to drive you or...?" You trailed off, feeling liked you were stepping on eggshells when you spoke to her.

"No." She said. "No, thank you." Grace began to leave and open the passenger door to your car and step out. Just as you were about to say something to her, she closed the door without a goodbye.

Admittedly, it did feel selfish of you to expect a kiss or hug or even a glance of acknowledgement as a goodbye after everything. You felt like you lost her trust. A relationship is built on trust, you've told yourself hundreds times. You just hers and you felt like the end between you and Grcae was coming sooner than expected.

It was all just words when you said to Karl that you were thinking about leaving Grace. Now that it was actually happening, it all felt too real and too fast. When you told Karl you wanted to break things off with her, you didn't take into account of how Grace herself would feel about it all.

All Grace ever wanted was the truth. And the truth, you couldn't provide.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck." You repeated quickly in a breathy voice, barely above a whisper.

You were in deep shit now. The break up is inevitable, you had just set that date between you and Grace in action and you knew it deep down. You had fucked up for sure.

Karl, remember. You brought your phone screen to your gaze to see that Karl had hung up the call presumably during the fight. A small smile spread across your face when you realized he did it for your privacy. You knew it was basic human decency, but it still made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It was a feeling you were in need of right now. Karl provided unlike you.

Your eyes flickered to your messages between Karl, reading what he sent after he hung up when you realized he sent a message at all.

hey I didn't mean to intrude on that

I hope everything gets better :))

u can talk about it later if u want ? :D

You smiled softly, huffing a laugh. You looked up from the blue light that emitted from the screen of your phone to the world around you that was outside your tinted car windows. You checked to see if Grace had driven away to her place yet. The empty parking space next to yours meant she did. You didn't need to suppress your grin from Karl's kindness and dorky charm in fear of Grace seeing.

You hated and loved how warm he made you feel. There was no way in Hell he could ever know that, though. Just to be safe, it'd be best to reply to him with a mean, banter-like, light hearted reply.

how dare u 🙄🤚

jk, I dont wanna talk rn

maybe later tho :/

To your surprise, Karl quickly responded.

Its np!!

have a good rest of ur day :))

remember, I'm always there for u