Chapter 3: Return to the Wild

"Falconblaze? But he's leaving!"

"Maybe he's staying after all?"

"I saw them go into Dreamstar's den, maybe he told her he wanted to return?"

The Clan muttered, all shocked and confused. Falconblaze felt a stab of relief, looking at Hawkpaw he could see the young tabby fel the same way. Dreamstar struggled to get her Clan silent, and had to yowl to get their attention again.

"I know what you think, but Falconblaze will NOT be staying. Hawkpaw is going with Falconblaze out into the wild, and Falconblaze will train him to be a strong independant cat there." Dreamstar meowed loufly and clearly.

"But what about Mistyflight and Brackenclaw? What do they think about this?" a sharp mew challenged. Glancing at the assembled warriors Falconblaze recognized Brownpool, a young brown dappled tom. His long bushy tail was curled around his paws, his eyes glittering with worry and confusion.

At least he isn't angry. Falconblaze thought.

"Mistyflight and Brackenclaw have both agreed that Hawkpaw will leave. It was Mistyflight's wish to send one of her kits out to experiance the world. Brackenclaw has said that he understands, and he believes Hawkpaw will be better out there."

Dreamstar looked directly at Brownpool as she spoke. Slowly the confusion lifted from his eyes and was replaced by understanding. He nods and remains silent.

Hawkpaw looked at his parents, gratitude and love shining in the bright green eyes. Brackenclaw looks proudly back, Mistyflight nods faintly. Satisfied, Hawkpaw turned back to Falconblaze. Falconblaze took a step forward, intent on completely reassuring the Clan.

"I have talked to Hawkpaw, and I am sure. Sure that he has a spirit as wild as wolves. I do not wish for his spirit to have to be supressed and pushed away here. I never felt completely well in a large group, but it's also hard alone. With Hawkpaw by my side we can protect each other and learn faster." He tells them. A few more cats seemed to accept it this time.

Then Hawkpaw started talking as well.

"I look forward to this life. With Falconblaze as my mentor and friend," he glances at Falconblaze, who felt a rush of happiness. He didn't want Hawkpaw to think of him only as a teacher.

"I believe I will become a much better cat than I could become here. I long for the forest, and for the territory beyond. When I listen to the wind, it sounds like it's trying to drag me out of camp, through the forest, and over mountains. Seeing different prey, different cats, different creatures of all kinds! That is the life I want. Ravenpaw and Falconpaw, Brackenclaw and Mistyflight, they will always be with me. I know that. I will not let go of our ancestors."

Hawkpaw takes a deep breath and the Clan is silent. Looking at him with wide expectant eyes they stay slient and respectful.

"Some of you may wonder why I'm leaving so soon, I'm no more than a kit. But as an apprentice we are taught the Warrior Code right? I can't rely on that out there. I have to let go of it now, if not I never will. I hope you all can accept that." Hawkpaw dips his head, and steps back to Falconblaze's side. His green eyes were filled with determination.

"Nice work." Falconblaze whispers. Hawkpaw just twitches one ear. The Clan no longer had any fear or confusion. They were all gazing at Dreamstar, Falconblaze and Hawkpaw with acceptance. Some cat started to cheer.

"Hawkpaw! Ravenpaw! Falconpaw! Hawkpaw! Ravenpaw! Falconpaw!"

Soon the rest of the Clan joined in, cheering loudly for the three apprentices. Brackenclaw and Mistyflight were cheering the loudest, along with Falconblaze.

____________________________________________________________________________________

The next morning Falconblaze was restless. He got up early and sat in the clearing gazing at the fading stars.

Are you there Raven? Are you watching me? He sighs. Am I doing the right thing, taking Hawkpaw away?

The stars just twinkel down on him, silent. He sighs again. Suddenly a strangeløy familiar scent hit him. He frowns. The scent was faint and familiar, he ought to recognize it! It was getting stronger and stronger, annoying him because he couldn't figure out what it belongs to.

A yowl sounds far away. Cat. Recognision hits him like a viscious dog, and his eyes widen with horror.

No! Anything but that!

He spun around and tore into the warriors den.

"ATTACK!!!"

He screeches. He had barely uttered the words when a wave of cats poured into the camp. The NightClan warrior stumbled up in confusion; they were completely unprepared! Falconblaze yowls with pain and surprise as something grabs his tail and drags him out of the den.