Medical emergencies

Beep... Beep... Beep...

My eyelids were very heavy and I was like in a tunnel, no, an abyss and I was sinking as if I was looking at the walls of an endless cliff, like in the chimney of a volcano, and, all of a sudden, a white square and... as if attracted by a magnet, the light enlarged and came to stick to my eyes. It was frightening but as soon as I opened my eyes, I was accompanied by a stabbing pain. Everything was pulsating and I could see blurry.

"MAMAAANNNN!!! help! Graaaaace, to me!!!"

I wanted to get up but I had no strength and my head felt like it was under water. I couldn't hear anything, except as if under 2 meters of water.

Everything was blurred, the sounds were accompanied by a high-pitched sound non stop. Tinnitus? Yes... that's it!.

"Aaargh!"

I heard the door slam and muffled voices.

My hands hurt horribly, my stomach and my skull.

Doctor Delobbel: "Mrs. Gramme, you'll have to be brave... Your son needs you more than ever right now.

The burns are terrible and we had to remove long strips of skin from his legs to reconstruct his forehead. The top of his skull, well ... it was scalped. His right hand was ripped off and it is a miracle that he survived his disembowelment from the shock. With the violence of the explosion, the flesh crystallized and fragmented. It is because he is young and growing that he was able to survive and that the tissues were able to be sewn back together, at least what we were able to collect and put in the ice bags.

He has a shattered eye. He will see light but that's it, the other one, we don't know yet if the retina will reattach or sclerose.

His spine is whole but the trauma will prevent him from walking normally and the damage in his ears is terrible. He will hear some noise but not like before.

I don't know if we can call this healing but his convalescence will be long and the rehabilitation endless.

You have to realize that Connors will remain disabled. Only time will tell how he will evolve.

I didn't understand anything but I cried out for help and felt hands calming me down. I was tied up and in pain. Very bad.

Doctor: "He's in pain and I'm going to give him some morphine, but it will also make him a little sleepy. You can't put too much in either. Too much for too long. Morphine is also the way to "put him to sleep" permanently or "Euthanasia".

"Please, Doctor... Do everything you can to save my child... He is so young..."

Then a detective entered the room but the doctor asked him to come back in 2 days, until the pain subsided and they could see if I could testify or not. Which really wouldn't be the case, considering my situation.

Grace, my older sister, was inconsolable and Dad held her close, Mom, holding my left hand and massaging my fingers.

"They will pay, the ones who did this to you! I promise!"

She had the inspector's card in her purse. And she was squeezing the location every now and then, as if the pressure could put the squeeze on the person or persons responsible.

The press got involved, and my story was reported all over the United States and even in other countries. The violence in schools and the availability of weapons and explosives were denounced again and again.

But the lobbies were tough and the killing could still go on happily.

An officer came to find my father, also a career soldier. At first glance, this was beyond our family, who just wanted to be left alone to process the tragic events.