Chapter 17

Dear Z,
Teach me how to love you because I can't seem to do it all on my own.

                                      • • •

                                    Zaid

Friday Morning

I knock on the door, my hands folded behind my back, fisting the bouquet of white tulips. I wait patiently as the babbling and hustle bustle reverberate inside her room.

When the door is pulled back, I'm greeted by the expected chaos and people rushing past here and there. My mom and several heads of my cousins poking in and then looking away when they realize it's me.

"Can I meet the bride?" I hold up the flowers in front and my mother beckons me in. I do a quick scan of the large room. Three of my little cousins running around and playing amongst each other with ribbons and some kind of fluff they found on the floor, alongside are Gina, Ira, Zeneca, my mother and two professional looking stylists with their pink and red hair circling around Adrianna, musing over her hair with sprays and stuff as she sat like a princess in the middle dressed in her pink silk bathrobe in front of a toilette mirror. Boxes of gel, cream and other cosmetics laid around the room. Adrianna's room had been transformed into a parlor officially.

Adrianna's eyes twinkled in reflection when she saw the tulips. "Finally, some attention to your forgotten favorite sister. I haven't seen you in the last few days. Where have you been?" She joked.

I try to keep my mask unshaken. Not wanting to be caught in a lie. I laugh at her, trying to ease the tension building inside my chest. "First of all, you are my only sister. Second, I have been right here. Just observing you all growing up and moving forward with your life."

"Zaid you can't make me cry! I'm only in the initial stages of my makeup." The two stylists whose name plates stated Ginny and Lorelei gave me their once over, which Adrianna and I exchanged looks. She poked her tongue at me and I returned the gesture. She would often tease me when girls checked me out and I, my modest self would take it kindly and shrug it off.

I stroll forward, finding an empty vessel to stack the flowers in. I lie my shoulder on the wall, my hands fiddling with the red short sleeves of my t-shirt bunched up on my arm as I gaze upon her. "You don't need makeup, Adrianna." Which she rolled her eyes at me. I look around and then lean in closer even though all of them could hear me, "Mind giving me a minute. I want to talk to you."

Adrianna looked around and then declared a five minute tops break. They all shuffled out, threatening her if it exceeds the time limit they would barge in anyway. Once they were all out and my mother giving us the stern look while closing the door to which we both chuckled it away.

"So to what delight do I owe this sister-brother bond? Everything okay?"

I didn't know where to start. I didn't even know what to speak. Between her and me, secrets grew as we matured and yet somehow we understood each other. The heavy feeling hadn't left since yesterday night. It darted behind my eyelids, still so bloody fresh in memory but the deceit of it sinking me~

I watch Rose in my motionless state as she scurries away from the corridor, breathless and not looking back as she pushes past Wade even though he is rooted at his spot.

Wade's left eyebrow has been inched up for god knows how long. I don't know how to start this fucking conversation and he takes it up on him to begin with sarcasm. "Imagine my surprise when I hear a brother of mine, saying things extremely explicit to a degree that I wish I could rip my ears out and watching the woman he is speaking to is another sister of mine."