52

Skeppy follows Sapnap down to the door as the knocking continues, finding that Tubbo and Fundy had already begun to open it to greet those outside. Now would be the right time for Eret's men to arrive, Skeppy connects, still a bit distant and dull from his grief. Even Sapnap's well intentioned orders that kept him from immediately falling into grief weren't enough to fully kill the sensation of loss, and he wasn't sure what they should even do when they go to the fortress.

Work on freeing Techno, for the kids, his mind reminds him softly, and for the sake of others who would suffer if he kept up this behavior.

Sapnap offers a hand to the leader of the group as he and Skeppy join the pair greeting the mercenaries.

"Awesam," he says with warm surprise, "I didn't think you'd be sent." The man grins under his mask, his expression betrayed by his eyes, and steps over the threshold, clapping the younger warrior on the shoulder.

"Well, he did offer a good price," he teases, and the rest of the group slowly steps in, looking around in curiosity, "I need to warn you though, we have—"

A thud sounds from outside, and the members of the group still outside turn to inspect the source. Tubbo jumps up to see past them, and after a second of registering what he sees, he shouts excitedly, pushing them aside to run outside.

"Phil!!"

His exclamation stirs interest in Skeppy, and Tommy bolts from somewhere else in the embassy, eagerness lighting up his gaze as he heard Tubbo's voice— but he forces himself to slow down, sauntering towards the door. His eyes glimmer with barely repressed emotion; curiosity, eagerness, hope. But clearly he doesn't want to seem that eager. It almost makes Skeppy smile a bit.

He slides over to see the man the boys had been searching for, and sees a dark grey cloak spread over the snow as a blond man pulls himself out of the snow, both his straw-colored hair and his green robes already thoroughly soaked.

"Phil! Phil, you're here!" Tubbo exclaims joyfully, and Philza glances up, still gaining his bearings after what had to be a faceplant. A warm smile graces his face, ice-blue eyes lighting up.

"Tubbo!" He exclaims, relieved, and let out a small "oof!" as he's tightly hugged by the younger mage. Skeppy watches the reunion, feeling Tommy push him aside to trot over.

"Hey old man!" He teases, skidding to a stop next to the pair. Skeppy's attention is riveted on the reunion until he feels a hand on his shoulder, someone turning him to face them.

"Z— Skeppy," a familiar, elegant voice says excitedly, "You're okay!"

"George?" He whispers, shocked. His gaze travels over his friend's face, the purple starburst.

Then surely...

Sapnap realizes it before Skeppy's gaze even lights on the man next to George; tall, shrouded in a regal aura, and wearing an elytra like George is. His dirty-blond locks droop in front of his face, and his perceptive gaze takes in the area even as he pretends to be off-guard.

Sapnap can't help it; his first reaction is to point his sword at the prince.

"You," he snaps, despite the warm reunion and Skeppy's own faint joy at seeing his friend.

Dream stares up the blade, acutely aware of the rest of the group staring at Sapnap and him with confusion.

"Me?" He queries.

"Dream." It's flung out like a curse word, and Skeppy steps back to the warrior's side, pleading,

"Sap— not right now, please!" The hunter's hand on Sapnap's shoulder makes him pause, glancing at his friend's expression. "You don't have to fight him right now, please." It's whispered to him amidst rising murmurs in the group.