3

The path is relatively clear of dangers, clear of trouble. Skeppy almost wishes something would come so he could take out this burning discomfort in his mind on something real, do something VIOLENT.

They don't talk much. High noon arrives, and as the sun drifts lazily overhead, Sapnap prompts,
"So, tell me about yourself. Who are you, exactly?"
Skeppy laughs bitterly, and glances at him with a sardonic expression.

"I told you. Name's Skeppy, Bad means more to me than anything else in life, and I'm twenty-one. Not much else to my character, really."
Sapnap rolls his eyes,
"You're not a character in a bad vengeance novel. What are you interested in? Hobbies? How about things you're good at? Kiss your friends goodnight?"

This earns Sapnap a playful punch to the arm, and the exasperated response of,
"You're so weird, S-Sna- Snapmap."

Sapnap looks less than pleased with the stuttered nickname that Skeppy promptly begins to giggle over, covering his mouth slightly to hide the goofy grin that splits his stony expression.

"Righhhhttt...you like making fun of people got it. Are you a prankster or something like that? You have that energy."

"Chaotic stupid energy? I get that a lot," Skeppy admits, reluctantly conceding that joking like this makes him feel better about their predicament. "I love pranking. George says they're not always the nicest pranks, and Bad agrees. I used to prank them both a lot, mostly Bad because he was so easy to get, but then I made him cry and as an apology I stopped doing big pranks with him. Little things. I put an endermite in his bathtub. I swapped all his cups around in the cupboard, that drove him crazy because I kept doing it and for weeks he couldn't catch me."

Sapnap nods as he makes his way along, arms crossed behind his head. His sword is held on his back in a sheath that looks somewhat inconvenient; at first Skeppy wonders how it would be drawn free. No doubt Sapnap knows how to use it though.

Though he glances at Skeppy, curious now,

"Did you say an endermite? How did you get your hands on one?"
Skeppy shrugs,

"All it took was smashing around six or seven pearls in the tub for it to spawn. Like, they're not hard to get."

A look of horror briefly crosses Sapnap's face as he asks, now with more urgency in his tone,

"Ender pearls? Like, what you get from ki- killing endermen?"

Skeppy looks at him oddly, his behavior mystifying.

"Yeah? The villagers had a lot. Our warrior patrols often tangled with the bastards. You got a personal attachment to them or something?"

Sapnap opens his mouth and then shakes his head,

"I just, never really killed them. They don't do jack if you don't meet their eyes, after all. And they're running away after all, it would be mean."

"Running away?" Skeppy clambers over a large tree that had fallen over the overgrown trail. Nobody seems to have taken this way in some time, at least, nobody took the path. "From what, d'ya think?"

Sapnap shrugs,

"Isn't that what like, everyone knows? People who've gone to the End say there's a horrible dragon whose breath is like acid and burns your skin. I'd want to run away if I was an enderman."

Skeppy ponders thoughtfully,

"I never heard that before. We're a pretty isolated town and we don't get that much traffic, honestly. A few years back the trade started to dry up, and when Bad's father died- shortly after my ninth birthday- nobody in the town really knew how to make a lot of the healing compounds he did, and so the shop went out of business and a lot of our trade just stopped now that we had no valuable healing potions and whatnot to sell. Nobody knows where his mother was during all that shit, in fact she kinda hit it and quit it. Weird to say that about a girl."