59

Everyone disperses except Fundy, Sapnap, Dream, and Skeppy. The two mages grin cheekily at Skeppy, who points accusingly.

"Bitches. You were throwing bombs my way mentally that whole meeting." Fundy shrugs, and Sapnap slings his arm over Skeppy's shoulders, dragging him away.

"Alright guys we gotta go sleep so we can fight bye see ya!" It's rushed out as he drags Skeppy off to their quarters, even though Dream and George share them. He turns before they reach the door, ducking into a small storage room. Skeppy follows, baffled.

"What—" Sapnap shushes him, glancing behind them as he shuts the door quietly.

He listens for a second, making sure nobody else is nearby, before placing his hands on Skeppy's shoulders, looking his friend in the eyes with his own pleading lilac gaze.

"Zak, don't get yourself killed trying to see this mission through," he pleads, "Please."

Skeppy's stomach twists at the use of his name, understanding the secrecy and Sapnap's motive...but at the same time...

He reaches up, placing his hand on Sapnap's cheek.

"Hey, it'll be okay," he whispers, gaze locked with Sapnap's unrelenting one— like any enderman, his stare is entrancing, and Skeppy can't bring himself to look away. "I'm not going to martyr myself, Nick. Promise. I need to see you and that KJ fellow reunite after we save Bad." The humorous hint in his tone is lost on Sapnap, desperation growing in the warrior's expression.

"No, no joking please," he begs, "I just— I don't have anybody except this group and KJ if I can get him back. Zak I can't— I can't lose you too." The raw tone as he admits it hits Skeppy where he's weak; right in his loyalty to those he loves, in his devotion to his bonds.

He pulls Sapnap close, wrapping him in a tight hug, his chin pressed to the taller boy's shoulder as he tiptoes up to properly embrace him. Sapnap squeezes him gently, but firmly, as though he's afraid to let go.

"Nick." Skeppy's tone is soft, but his words are firm and steely. "I won't leave you. I promise."

"Really?" His voice is soft, and if Skeppy didn't know it was his, he would've thought someone else entirely was speaking. He squeezes his friend even tighter. "You really, really promise?"

The dim light from the cracks of the door barely illuminates the room at all, but Sapnap's voice betrays his tears.

"I swear it on my life, Nick," Skeppy vows, "I'll come back. I won't let anything take me away. You'll see, we'll both get out of this with our soulmates, and we can get some little cottages with a plot of land and just live with our mates until the end of our days." Sapnap's soft sniffles continue for a minute, before the subside enough for him to reply, pulling back.

"I'd like that." This side of Sapnap must be shielded from most people, Skeppy thinks, realizing just how scared his friend seems to be. "It sounds...really nice. I'll stay alive too, I promise."

"Pinky promise?" Skeppy dares to tease, and immediately feels Sapnap's hand fumble his own until their little fingers latch, and he solemnly replies,

"Pinky promise."

"That was a joke," Skeppy whispers, but he can see a faint grin on Sapnap's face despite the tears a mere moment ago. The warrior leans down, gently kissing Skeppy's cheek (briefly, Skeppy feels a flare of confused emotion, but it subsides quickly).

"Yeah, but you don't break pinky promises," Sapnap says firmly, and opens the door, George and Dream seemingly already sound asleep inside the room. "Sorry if that was...weird? I got scared with all the talk of death and...all that. I'm not really used to being in the thick of it all."