62

Fundy never thought he'd be so happy to descend into a somewhat menacing tunnel. But as it is, he's just delighted to not be narrowly hanging onto the edge of a cliff and anticipating death at any minute. Tubbo does not seem to share the sentiment, clinging to Fundy's arm and hurriedly calling up a ball of light to illuminate their surroundings.

Philza tells them all,

"We'll be there soon. The other route is longer though, so the others may take more time to reach the fortress." Fundy shudders at the thought of what the others might be going through- but really, he couldn't say that there was any frame of reference for possible hazards. This is his first time traveling in the Nether, after all. All he knows of it are from horror stories, and those...can't be the most reliable.

But the group seems to trust Phil enough to be relatively at ease, and it's not like they're not almost all capable mages. With the exception of Mega, but one look at his claymore really erases any doubts of his ability to protect himself.

Fundy's still praying they don't need to use that sword, though.

***

Assu anxiously paces the hall leading to the entrance, Maiu watching. She's small for a brute, but they all assumed that's due to her being a mage.

"Min," she quietly states, causing Assu to turn on a dime to stare her elder in the eyes, "Stop pacing, dear. You need to conserve your energy to heal your injuries and in case of any fights." Assu grimaces. She knows full well that the mage's words hold truth, but she can't bring herself to stay still, anxiety holding her sword tighter with each second. Maiu places a hand on her shoulder, gently reassuring her.

The few years between them made a difference- Maiu's experience as a brute has her less on edge, knowing that if combat arises it's best for her to be relaxed but alert. Being on edge only predisposes you to false alarms.

But Assu felt as though her guard couldn't be down for a second, not even a little. She sighs softly.

"...you're right, mir," she admits, her ears drooping in dismay. "I just...what if that thing does come back before Myr Phil gets here?" Maiu ruffles the younger sow's fur gently, and smiles warmly.

"We'll fight to hold it off," she says firmly, "Go check on Lum. I have a bad feeling about him." Assu dashes away with that premonition; Maiu follows from a few feet behind, watching as the younger warrior darts around corners.

She's so eager to fight, Maiu worries, Morou and her alike. Whatever is it with young warriors these days? It's like the training I went through doesn't exist for them. Assu skids to a halt in the room where Bad lies sealed, and calls out,

"Lum?" Her friend turns, blinking at her with bewilderment. "You're okay, right? Nothing weird has happened?"

"No?" His voice is uncertain as she approaches him, surveying the room with clear concern. "Nothing has changed since you left."

Maiu's throat tightens, and something in her stomach drops. Lies lies, a little voice cries out, False words! Untruth!

"Lum," she says in a soft tone, meeting the young boar's eyes, "What happened?" Lum's gold gaze darts away, and the unease worries at Maiu's gut again.

"Nothing, really," he assures her, fixing his gaze on the body. "I thought I saw the glyphs change for a second, that's all. But it's back to how it was." Something about that still feels false, but she can't hold the magic long enough to get it out of him. Assu similarly seems untrusting of this admission, but...there's little they can prove.

"You can guard upstairs for a bit," Assu suggests, but her tone makes it sound like an order. Lum shrugs.

"It's not that bad, I'm fine down here."